Under the general supervision of a faculty investigator, the individual will be responsible for stem cell maintenance, stem cell line generation, molecular cloning. In addition, handling cell isolation and culture using small rodents for fluid and/or tissue isolation and processing, and molecular assays. Additionally, must be capable of exercising independent judgment while participating in the planning of experiments and evaluating and interpreting results.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform a variety of laboratory experiments to include cell isolation and separation of cardiac muscle cells from neonatal and adult hearts, preparation of tissue for routine histology and molecular assays including gel electrophoresis, and mRNA and DNA preps. Careful records of all experiments performed and assessment of quality of data generated is critical.
• Responsible for all aspects of a working cardiology laboratory including managing and performing experiments and general laboratory organization and upkeep.
• Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which may include: basic tissue culture, cell separation methods, electrophoretic separations, assays, basic molecular biology or other specialized histology and biological science techniques
• May utilize in vivo models in experimentation
• Perform laboratory experiments by following common protocols or with instruction
• Identifies and resolves common problems involved in routine research assays
• Manages experiments from sample and reagent preparation to experimental testing and data collection.
• Analyzes data in terms of quality control and experimental diagnostics in preparation for statistical analysis.
• Careful record keeping of sample information and results to guarantee quality of experimentation.
• Accountable for laboratory management, involving tracking supply inventories and ensuring availability of laboratory reagents and material.
• Carries out routine equipment maintenance and upkeep.
• Ensures laboratory efficiency by following set protocols for lab cleanliness, organization and safety regulations.
Education and Experience:
Required: BS/BA, or equivalent, in biology, chemistry or related field. Previous lab experienced.
Preferred: Mouse and cell line handling experience is desired. Molecular biology experience including molecular cloning, PCR, qPCR and immunostaining is also desired.
Classified Title: Research Technologist
Working Title: Research Technologist ?????
Starting Salary Range: $14.14-$19.44 (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Working 40 hours per week; Monday-Friday
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002805-SOM DOM Cardiology
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at mailto:email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza (“the flu”) season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1682756
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.