The Research Assistant will primarily be responsible for the implementation and analysis of individual research projects that will include measuring biomarkers using ELISA and Mesoscale Diagnostics (MSD) multiplex assays. Additionally, this role will also be responsible for preparing electronic datasets, laboratory organization, aliquoting samples, and maintaining the inventory of blood and urine samples.
For spring 2021 college graduates, we are open to a May/early June full-time start date. (It will be preferable, if a spring graduate can not begin full-time until May/June, s/he has the ability do do part-time until graduation.)
- Running ELISA and Mesoscale Diagnostic multiplex assays on blood and urine samples. This includes developing a protocol specific to each assay and analyzing the data.
- Organizing and maintaining an electronic database for all data produced from specified assays.
- Developing and performing new protocols for the purpose of specific research projects, such as processing and extracting DNA or RNA from blood samples.
- Proper labeling, handling, and storage of blood and urine samples. Maintaining an accurate and updated physical and electronic inventory of all samples.
- Responsible for the retrieval and aliquoting of serum, plasma, and urine samples for various projects. This includes developing a plan of how to most effectively aliquot and organize samples, as well as how to keep an accurate electronic inventory.
- Coordinate with outside laboratories. This includes the preparation of samples according to a company’s specifications. It also includes the logistics of safely shipping the samples.
- Assessing the quality of the data, identifying any possible errors and correcting them.
- Development of computer databases for the results of the laboratory determinations.
- Excellent communication with all members of the lab, such as coordinating work projects and ensuring proper protocol is being followed.
- Mitigate any problems that may arise within the laboratory, including in the assistance of maintaining and preserving the integrity of laboratory equipment by ensuring its proper use, and monitoring biohazardous material usage, handling, and disposal.
- Work independently to complete multiple projects for deadlines, and report progress during project meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a closely related field
- Minimum .5 years of demonstrated laboratory experience from academic coursework or industry
- Significant demonstrated undergraduate practical experience with relevant laboratory methods
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ability to navigate at a basic level within various web-based applications
- Familiarity with basic laboratory instruments and equipment – in a laboratory setting
- Experience preparing datasets
- Experience using SAS, R, or other statistical software is preferred
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to follow general instructions and procedures, as provided
- Strong organizational and communication skills (communicate clearly and effectively via verbal and written instruction)
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities – through completion