We need YOU to help keep our students and community safe and healthy!
The School Nurse is responsible for providing health services to students, conducting state-mandated screenings, maintaining 100% immunization state compliance, and maintaining accurate files. The School Nurse will collaborate with the school social worker, teachers, child study team and the operations team to ensure that all students are healthy and safe.
A Bit More About You…
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team on collaborative projects
- A track record of driving results and achieving goals
- Commitment to do whatever it takes to ensure our teachers and students have what they need to be successful
- Ability to proactively problem solve; anticipate challenges before they occur
- Ability to identify inefficiencies and generate creative solutions
- Ability to develop and manage multiple projects simultaneously and comfortably with ambiguity
- Ability to troubleshoot and manage high stress situations with a calm and positive demeanor
- A current New Jersey registered professional nurse license (RN) issued by the New Jersey State Board of Nursing is required.
- Must either currently possess a School Based Nursing Certification or meet eligibility requirements to obtain School Based Nursing Certification.
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- A current Providers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillators (AED) certification.
- Complete training in airway management and in the use of nebulizers and inhalers consistent with nationally recognized standards, including, but not limited to, those of the National Institutes of Health and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.
- A Department-approved college curriculum for the preparation of school nurses or a program of studies (minimum of 15 semester-hour credits).
- Proficiency in EMR systems and Microsoft products.
- Here’s what you’ll be doing:Maintain and ensure the confidentiality of a complete up to date student health record. Such records include, but are not limited to immunization data, physical examinations, screenings, referrals, follow-up required and specific medical condition
- Administer medication to students in accordance with law, Policy, and school standing orders
- Follow protocols that provide for crisis intervention for acute illness, injury and emotional disturbances
- Develop plans for student care based on assessment, interventions, and identification of outcomes, and the evaluation of care
- Monitor immunizations, manage communicable diseases, and assess the school environment as to prevent injury and ensure safety
- Manages student health records; Records immunizations, health findings, and other relevant health data
- Assisting families with locating community health resources
- Serve as consultants to other school professionals, such as food service personnel, physical education teachers and counselors
- Provide health advice to school educational teams, such as the School Support Team
- Maintain and request orders for equipment/supplies for nurse’s office and first aid station
- Periodically participate in events outside of normal school hours such as family nights, student performances and teacher–parent conferences.
Compensation & Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, KIPP NJ offers a full comprehensive benefits plan, including health care, retirement, an optional subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, a school laptop and transportation benefits for TEAMmates community into New Jersey from the Philadelphia area.
About KIPP New Jersey
KIPP New Jersey schools are part of the nationally recognized “Knowledge Is Power Program” non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. In 2002, KIPP New Jersey first opened its doors in Newark’s South Ward as a single class of 80 fifth graders and has since grown to teach over 5,100 students in grades K-12 in Newark and Camden. 92% of KIPP New Jersey students currently qualify for free or reduced-price meals. Today, we have grown to 16 (K-12) schools throughout Newark and Camden, NJ. Learn more about KIPP here.
KIPP New Jersey/KIPP Miami is an equal opportunity employer.