About the Teacher-In-Residence Program:
The Teacher-In-Residence program offers aspiring K-12 teachers a unique opportunity to receive high-quality training at a KIPP NYC school. Individuals will have a high-performing KIPP teacher who serves as a mentor and advisor for the entire school year. Teachers-In-Residence receive extensive weekly training and deliberate practice through a targeted professional development series for beginning teachers, allowing for a structured, supportive and more sustainable on-ramp into the teaching profession. If not already on a NYS certification track, Teachers-In-Residence will be required to enroll in an MA in Teaching program at Relay Graduate School of Education, which includes recommendation for NYS certification. KIPP NYC fully commits to the growth and development of each Teacher-In-Residence, with the explicit goal that upon successful completion of the residency, each resident is hired into a full-time teaching role at a KIPP NYC school while obtaining their NYS teaching certification. This program is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path but who do not have any full-time teaching experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Teachers-In-Residence will assume the same schedule as a full-time KIPP NYC teacher. Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching.
- Providing individual, small, and whole group instruction for students through gradual onboarding.
- Leading or co-facilitating an advisory.
- Engaging in regional, cohort, school and content-based professional and personal development.
- Constantly assessing student progress and communicating results to families and colleagues.
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
- High level of organization and professionalism.
- Bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 GPA or higher (if currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree by June 2022).
- Zest, grit, hope, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor.
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture.
- Open to feedback and willing to constantly, reflect, improve, and learn.
- Desire and commitment to teach in a K-12 setting for at least three years after the first year of the residency.
- Commitment to obtaining a NYS Trans B Teaching Certificate by the midpoint of the residency year (by January 2023).
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC is an anti-racist organization that believes in the importance of being diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We are committed to creating a welcoming environment that includes employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving students and families throughout New York City. BIPOC, women, gender expansive, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.