The Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) seeks an enterprising, highly-organized, results-oriented Communications Associate to join our small, dynamic, and collaborative team. Candidates must be a strong writer with a demonstrated ability to coordinate and implement communications strategies across a range of channels and organizational functions.
The Communications Associate leverages the power of public relations and communications to build community and propel the landscape architecture discipline forward while supporting LAF programs, events, and fundraising efforts. This position offers a unique opportunity to grow with the organization, develop and test ideas, and demonstrate leadership skills. The full-time, 40 hour/week position is located in Washington, DC and requires occasional travel within the U.S.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all LAF staff have been working remotely, but a return to LAF’s downtown DC office is expected to begin in late-June 2021.
LAF is a national, 501(c)(3) charitable organization that invests in research, scholarships, and leadership initiatives to increase the influence and impact of landscape architects and strengthen the discipline to take on defining issues like climate change and inequity. The Communications Associate joins a passionate and forward-thinking team that is engaged with the leaders and next practices in landscape architecture.
This position is responsible for the creation and dissemination of content across native and social media platforms, through media partnerships, and utilizing earned media. The Communications Associate will develop, write, design, and edit effective materials and messages that serve as the voice of LAF and are tailored to LAF’s key audiences, which include landscape architecture practitioners, academics, and students; donors; partner and funder organizations; and built environment professionals.
Core responsibilities include managing LAF’s various cyclical communications about programs and events, leading short-term campaigns, tracking coverage, working with media partners, and analyzing communications data to provide actionable insights. This role also supports LAF’s development and fundraising efforts through storytelling and other content to showcase impact.
This position reports to the Director of Programs & Communications. As staff in a small organization, the Communications Associate also serves on an integrated team providing input and support to LAF’s programmatic, event, outreach and partnership initiatives, as well as operations and strategic planning.
Planning and Strategy
- Work with the Director of Programs & Communications to build and hone LAF’s brand and develop benchmarks and strategies to increase awareness of LAF and landscape architecture.
- Implement and help to develop quarterly communications plans to support annual program, event, and fundraising objectives and long-term goals.
- Monitor communications and media trends to identify new opportunities.
- Write cyclical program and event announcements and disseminate them through digital channels.
- Create content (copy and images) to maintain and regularly update the LAF website.
- Lead the production of monthly e-newsletter and digital annual reports, including writing, editing, and formatting.
- Conceptualize stories, do research, and conduct interviews to craft compelling messages and stories about the impact of LAF and landscape architecture.
- Manage LAF social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and develop plans and benchmarks for increasing followers and engagement.
- Monitor, share, and engage on topics of interest.
- Create integrated media materials, including press releases, articles, pitch letters, and social media messages to distribute to media contacts.
- Identify, cultivate, and maintain ongoing relationships with key media outlets, organizations, influencers, and journalists.
- Manage and update media contact lists, including social media accounts.
- Pitch stories and LAF events to diverse media, including traditional reporters, bloggers, nonprofit organizations, and digital influencers.
Data Analysis, Tracking and Reporting
- Track media coverage and mentions on digital and social media channels.
- Monitor website, newsletter, and social media analytics and produce quarterly reports.
- Help to analyze and interpret data to develop insights and recommendations for LAF communications, programs, and other initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field; equivalent experience will be considered
- Minimum 2 years of experience and demonstrated success in communications, preferably with a nonprofit or social impact organization or company
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to develop press releases, social media posts, and stories of impact
- Strong attention to detail and an eye for design
- Ability to plan, manage competing priorities, track and meet deadlines, and execute a variety of tasks and responsibilities
- Strong computer skills and tech savvy, including proficiency in MS Office Suite and image manipulation software
- Experience with email marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp)
- Experience with social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), dashboards (e.g. Hootsuite), and best practices for content creation, sharing, and engagement
- Familiarity with website content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal)
- High initiative and self-motivation, with consistent demonstration as a successful, high-level performer
- Subject matter expertise or strong interest in sustainable design, green urbanism, and equitable development
· Hands-on experience in creating, launching, and managing communication campaigns
- Skills and experience in graphic design, video editing, photography, and donor-focused storytelling
· Understanding of SEO and content marketing
- Comfort with Adobe Creative Suite, social and media monitoring platforms (e.g. Meltwater), and editing to follow style guides (e.g. Chicago Manual of Style)
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary range is $50,000 – $55,000, commensurate with experience. LAF offers opportunities for growth based on employee performance. LAF provides a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance, vacation/sick pay, and an employer-matching 401(k) program.
The ideal start date is late-June/July 2021. Though LAF staff are currently working remotely, the expectation is for all employees to be on-site in LAF’s office once it reopens, which is tentatively planned for late-June.
LAF’s office is located in downtown Washington, D.C., is easily accessible by multiple public transit options, and has an on-site fitness facility, secure bike parking, and additional amenities.
Submit letter of interest, resume, and three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Associate position.” Please indicate how you found this opportunity. No phone calls please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.