Summary Description of Work
The primary purpose of the Círculos Facilitator is to aid in the expansion of the program model into a school-based setting. The goal of the program is to reduce the incidence of risky behaviors in participants and guide young men through their rites of passage into adulthood. Program implementation will include establishing referral sources at selected target schools, juvenile justice agencies, and community programs. The facilitator is responsible for intake activities, facilitation of weekly sessions at each target school, communication with referral sources about participant progress, and assisting with evaluation of program impact.
The facilitator is an important part of a team of professionals whose aim is to increase youth and parental engagement in order to realize positive and lasting outcomes for young people in our community. The Pathways to Success program of the Latino Center of the Midlands aims to reduce chronic school absenteeism and the incidence of risky behaviors in high school youth.
The program model incorporates an approach and curriculum that is based on the philosophy that young males need other men and women, their family, and community to care for, assist, heal, guide, and successfully prepare them for true manhood. The curriculum aims to promote the character development of young men while targeting the reduction and prevention of unwanted or unplanned pregnancies, substance abuse, community violence and increase the ability of youth to act in a responsible and respectful way in reference to their relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in planning and implementation of program model curriculum
- Establish referral sources at selected target schools, juvenile justice agencies, and community programs through individual and group meetings, presentations, and other means of communication
- Secure referrals to meet group capacity at each school for each semester
- Complete intake and orientation process with each referred participant
- Facilitate semester- long, weekly sessions at four target high schools and assist with the community based group at the LCM
- Collect attendance information for each session and monitor progress for each participant
- Communicate with key adults in the participant’s life regarding progress in the program
- Upload demographic and individual identifiable intake data to the LCM’s data collection system
- Maintain case management notes, updates, and milestones for each participant in LCM database
- Maintain client files and confidentiality standards
- and compile statistical data from pre and post-test assessments
- Attend required training to become certified in the Círculos curriculum
- Work with the Senior Program Manager to ensure that data is accurately collected and reported as required by grant agreements
Outreach and Advocacy:
- Promotes all agency program activities at schools, with community organizations and other partners
- Works together with the Senior Program Manager to represent the Latino Center of the Midlands at various community meetings, coalitions and groups
- Advocates for participants in relevant school, juvenile justice, or community-based matters
- Actively participates in agency events including forums, special events, and fundraisers
Preferred Qualifications and Experiences
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree or equivalent professional experience working with at-risk adolescents
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Prior experience in group facilitation with youth in a community based, therapeutic or classroom setting
- Strong understanding of Latino culture, values and identity
- Desire to work with young men and their families to improve decision-making, connection to identity and goal orientation
- Flexibility with schedule with some evening hours required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work as part of a team, communicate effectively both orally and in writing, receive and provide feedback;
- Ability to understand and establish collaborative working relationships with special needs populations and services such as the juvenile justice system and social and behavioral/mental health
- Professional manner that exemplifies attention to detail, confidentiality, patience, and a positive attitude toward work;
- Data entry and proficient use of Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools or controls. The position requires mobility. Minimum physical exertion. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis and up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 50% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, calculator and similar machines. Evening and weekend hours may be frequent to fulfill duties and to attend meetings/events.
The Círculos Facilitator must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug test before commencing employment.
Job Type: Full-time