Licensed Social Workers or Counselors are members of the integrated primary care team at Lorain County Health & Dentistry. They provide behavioral health evaluation and counseling to primary care patients referred by Lorain County Health & Dentistry medical and dental providers. Working closely with care managers, they also respond to acute requests for assistance from medical and dental providers to evaluate and assess patients during or shortly after medical visits. Care provided by Licensed Social Workers and Licensed Professional Counselors is brief and solution focused, consistent with the Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Model or a model of episodic behavioral healthcare.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Must have a Master’s Degree in Social Work or Counseling
- Must hold a valid license in the State of Ohio as a social worker (LSW) or Professional Counselor (LPC).
- Independent licensure (LISW or LPCC) is preferred.
- Must meet all credentialing and privileging requirements as mandated by policy.
- Must maintain appropriate continuing education requirements.
SKILL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bilingual Spanish is required.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a mental health treatment setting is required; experience in which behavioral health is integrated into primary care is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a non-profit community healthcare environment is preferred.
- Must have valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- Must have proficient computer skills and the ability to become proficient in software programs specific to Lorain County Health & Dentistry i.e. NextGen, EPM, EHR, etc.
- Must have the skill and credibility to serve as a patient advocate and be a role model for change.
- Ability to maintain a calm and professional demeanor and communicate enthusiastically with patients.
- Ability to be responsive in working with a culturally-diverse patient population.
- Must have excellent communication skills with the ability to master a therapeutic communication approach.
- Ability to independently coordinate multiple tasks.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
Daily responsibilities include:
- Evaluate and assess pediatric and adult patients.
- Intervene in crisis situations.
- Review patient’s behavioral history.
- Elicit relevant information from patients/ patient’s caregiver regarding their lifestyle and habits.
- Define targeted treatment goals with and for the patients
- Record behavioral goals in the patient’s integrated treatment plan.
- Provide short-term counseling to an established schedule of Lorain County Health & Dentistry patients, which may also include family members.
- Refer patients to psychiatry and other behavioral health services not provided by Lorain County Health & Dentistry.
- Ensure all plans and strategies developed are personalized, age specific, and culturally appropriate.
- Provide education, counseling, and support to patients using all available resources.
- Develop positive, professional relationships with patients.
- Promote good health throughout the facility in conversation and behavior.
- Refer patients to specialty care if needed for complex medical or psychological conditions.
- Complete encounters per policy.
- Respond to requests within EHR i.e. PAQ, tasks, patient message.
- Collaborate appropriately with provider team.
- Participate in Peer Review
- Must maintain accurate records.
- Comply with HIPAA and 42 CFR guidelines as all times.
- Must maintain infection control standards at all times per company policy.
- Must have knowledge of the Lorain County Health & Dentistry Continuous Quality Improvement Plan and be guided by its goals and objectives in carrying out the role of Therapist.
- Must demonstrate clinical competence in all areas of assigned job functions.
- Deliver care and services in accordance with the organization’s philosophy of “partnership” with patients and integration of the organizations values of Respect, Quality, Compassion and Hope.
- Provide input and recommendations to enhance the growth and success of the organization.
- Make every attempt to meet daily goals and objectives as defined by the organization.
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as directed by the organization’s leadership.
- It is also the responsibility of every employee to ensure that executive management is made aware of any issues that could negatively impact the organization or its relationships with patients, and the community. It is also the responsibility of every employee to report any and all violations and infractions against the company’s vision, mission, and values.
Why Choose LCH&D? At Lorain County Health & Dentistry we care for a vulnerable population that would likely go without health care if not for our services. We are the largest safety-net provider of primary and preventive health care in Lorain County, Ohio. We are also located about 30 miles West of Downtown Cleveland, and only 1 mile south of Lake Erie – a perfect location to MANY area attractions.
Excellent Training and Orientation Program
National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Eligibility
Generous Paid Time Off (PTO)
Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Employer Paid Life Insurance
Employer Paid Short- and Long-Term Disability
401(k) Retirement Plan
Giving back, outreach, and true advocacy to the patient community we serve.
Equal Opportunity Employer