The Intern Program
Marshall Wace offers a 10 week summer intern program in its New York location. The program provides high performing, entrepreneurial undergraduates exposure to a variety of roles across all areas of the firm. The program includes highly personalized mentoring, weekly lunch seminars with senior managers and key staff, social events, opportunities to participate in the firm’s charitable activities, and interaction with clients and service providers across the alternative asset management industry. In addition, interns will be given time to explore other areas of the firm that may be of interest. In short, the goal of the program is to provide its participants with the breadth, variety and the support that will enable them to build a strong technical platform from which to launch their career.
We are seeking a self-motivated undergraduate student who is passionate about learning, problem solving, critical thinking, and efficiency, all in the context of global financial markets. From a role based in New York, as part of our Global Operations and Treasury teams, you will be encouraged to deliver real value in a high-volume, efficient, and sophisticated investment management environment, both tactically as well as through dedicated projects. You will have the opportunity to build knowledge across a wide range of global markets and products, with exposure to several industry disciplines, including Trading, Investment Analysis, Risk Management, Treasury, Operations and Fund Accounting. Job duties may include:
- Work as part of a close-knit and technical operations team to support the requirements of a sophisticated hedge fund across a large number of products and markets, including equities, options, ETFs, futures, bonds, convertible bonds, and OTC.
- Build knowledge of various processes that are key to the Firm’s success such as: trade processing, securities lending, trade settlement, asset servicing, data management, and compliance.
- Gain an appreciation of the challenges to operating a large hedge fund and understand how the operations team relies on automation and efficiency to support a massive volume of trading each day.
- Use SQL and other coding languages to interact and manipulate data and assist in automation.
- Deliver real value by identifying workflow and system improvements, and work with the operations team to institute change both tactically as well as through dedicated projects.
- Interact with key members of other teams at Marshall Wace including Trading, Investment Analysis, Risk, Treasury, and Compliance personnel.
- Attend seminars hosted by prime brokerage counterparties to learn about how the buy side and sell side interact.
Students of all undergraduate levels and areas of study are encouraged to apply. Successful applicants share some common traits:
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to manage time effectively and proactively engage with team members
- Working towards Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Finance, Technology, Mathematics, or Engineering with a 3.0 minimum GPA
- Passion for the financial industry, and/or data and process improvements
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until 15 November 2020 and must contain a resume and detailed cover letter that indicates the role for which you are applying. We encourage you to apply early as assessments will be made on a rolling basis.
If your application is shortlisted you will be invited to participate in a telephone interview before further steps of the process, which will include role-specific assessments and in-person interviews in our New York office. Decisions will be made no later than 1 November 2020.