OPD offers a hands-on experience for current undergraduate, paralegal studies, and graduate
students to assist in the client-centered and team-based representation of OPD clients. This unparalleled experience allows interns to be fully incorporated into OPD’s innovative and strategic approach to aggressive litigation and comprehensive advocacy. Tasks include, but are not limited to, conducting client interviews and intakes, legal research, writing, and investigations.
Placement will be based on the candidate’s preferences and will be in one of our 12 district offices or state divisions. If you are interested in trial work, you want to request placement with one of our district offices (the specific office would depend on your geographical preferences and transportation).
Some of OPD’s more specialized divisions also provide internship opportunities. These smaller
divisions offer a unique opportunity to work closely with a smaller group of attorneys in a more highly specialized area of the law. The following statewide divisions host interns (please note the location of these offices in parentheses):
▪ Post Conviction Defenders (Baltimore City)
▪ Special Post Conviction Litigation Project (Baltimore City)
▪ Parental Defense Division (Rockville, Upper Marlboro, Baltimore City, Towson, Washington
▪ Forensics (Baltimore City- Graduate and Law Students Only)
▪ Mental Health Division (Baltimore County)
▪ Juvenile Division (throughout Maryland)
▪ Investigative Program (Upper Marlboro)
You can learn more about our offices by visiting our website at https://www.opd.state.md.us/
▪ Individual is pursuing an education in Criminal Justice, Forensic Studies, Paralegal, a Pre-Law, or
▪ Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
▪ Demonstrates commitment to public defense.
▪ Ability to work independently.
Please visit our website at http://www.opd.state.md.us/volunteers to complete our online application. Incomplete or improperly submitted applications will not be considered. Please email
email@example.com with questions or concerns.
*These are unpaid volunteer positions; however, were appropriate and applicable, OPD is willing to provide supervision for credit as well as sponsor grant or other outside funding applications. Students should keep in mind that opportunities may be limited for the 2020-2021 Academic Year and Summer 2021 should current restrictions due to the current pandemic continue.