If interested in this opportunity, please visit www.mghcareers.org and apply for JOB ID#3151149. Job Link: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3151149&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under general supervision of the Associate Site Director/Nurse Manager, the ALS Clinical Research Nurse is responsible for specific aspects of protocols and policies for research studies within scope of the nursing license in for the Massachusetts. In addition, the ALS Clinical Research Study Nurse assists in the ALS Multidisciplinary Clinic by acting as a primary nurse contact for the patient population of 1-2 physicians.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The research nurse collaborates closely with research coordinators and investigators, and will be responsible for the following:
- Identifies and recruits eligible patients
- Collect, compile, and potentially tabulate and analyze data
- Coordinate related patient care activities in the inpatient and outpatient setting
- Using the nursing process, delivers professional nursing care and evaluates patients’ responses to study protocols
- Provides consultation to primary physicians, nurses and research coordinators regarding protocol implementation and may contribute to research publications.
- Presents study findings to interested groups both inside and outside of the hospital.
- Coordinates and implements the research study according to the study protocol.
- Provides data form development
- Performs required nursing procedures, including blood draws, IV infusions, and collection and preparation and shipping of samples.
- Collaborates with the principal investigator(s) on an ongoing basis regarding progress of the study and the continuation or termination of study subjects.
- Works with physicians, nurses, research coordinators and patients in the selection of and participation by appropriate patients.
- Obtains all necessary approvals and informed consent forms; screens and enrolls patients into the studies.
- Assesses patient participation on a continuous basis in light of ethical considerations. Acts as liaison between patient and other members of the team regarding patient care activities relating to the research protocol.
- With assistance from research coordinators, responsible for IRB submissions for protocols. May require travel to research study subject’s home for study visits.
The ALS Clinical Research Nurse will also assist in the ALS Multidisciplinary Clinic:
- Provide competent, compassionate nursing care based on scientific principles and the use of nursing process and a primary nursing model.
- Provide and maintain a therapeutic environment for patients and families.
- Articulate the professional nursing role to the patient, family and health team members.
- Identify, facilitate, and evaluate outcomes of nursing care for an individual patient or group of patients.
- Coordinate involvement of the patient, family and health team members in patient care, including patient/family teaching.
- Document relevant patient information.
- Communicate the plan of care and other pertinent information to/from other health team members.
- Appropriately utilize nursing resources.
Charlestown Naval Yard, MGH Main Campus, and Charles River Plaza 165 Cambridge Street
Qualifications – External
- BSN, Current MA Licensure as an RN
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Communication: Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
- Professional knowledge: Clinical, healthcare knowledge to enable effective interactions and communications with patients, caregivers, clinicians, and healthcare administrators.
- Time Management: Exceptional organizational skills and ability to prioritize effectively and complete tasks; Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
- Highly motivated, independent, innovative, and capable of performing in a complex environment
- Strong sense of initiative and perseverance to carry through to completion of tasks; Demonstrates forthrightness and integrity.
- Ability to identify issues/projects and initiate plans to address asking for direction when appropriate
- Ability to develop a common vision for diverse communities, communicates effectively, and take ownership and responsibility for activities.
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team
- Sound judgment and decision-making abilities
- Demonstrated knowledgeable and compliant in all hospital, State and Federal regulatory requirements, including hospital policy and procedures (where applicable to the performance of the job), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)