College students from all over the country experience our nation’s capital through various internship programs. A professional internship experience with a Washington, DC, firm can lead to a successful career in law, public service, lobbying, issue advocacy, public relations, consulting, or working on political campaigns. A Washington, DC, internship can spur a college student in many different directions. With this in mind, McAllister & Quinn, a diverse government relations and grants consulting firm located in the heart of Washington, DC, has developed a comprehensive internship program that will give these students unique access to the many different aspects of Washington, DC. McAllister & Quinn has a specialty in grants consulting. Our clients include higher education institutions, research universities and institutions, healthcare systems, advanced technology corporations, and non-profits.
The McAllister & Quinn 360° Virtual Internship Program provides participants with a well-rounded experience of the various components that make Washington, DC, what many have called the most powerful city in the world. The 360° Internship Program is an excellent fit for a college student with a career interest in the public policy and federal/foundation funding, or sponsored research arena and desire to explore the various options that exist in that realm.
The McAllister & Quinn 360° Virtual Internship Program will focus on the following components of the Washington DC experience:
- Congress- Interns will work with McAllister & Quinn professionals to participate in lobbying Congress in a virtual environment. Interns will assist with scheduling, preparing background materials, monitoring congressional hearings, and joining virtual meetings with congressional offices or congressional briefings when possible.
- Grants and Federal Agency Exposure- Interns will gain insight into how federal agencies operate along with exposure to federal and foundation funding mechanisms. Interns will learn the critical role that agencies play in the overall federal budget process. This will involve research on federal grants and tracking of other agency activities and announcements.
- Policy and Programmatic Research- Interns will be responsible for developing policy and program-specific research memos and reports to be utilized by McAllister & Quinn and shared with various clients of the firm. We will work with interns to demonstrate the importance of strong writing, attention to detail, prioritization, and attention to meeting internal deadlines.
- Consulting and Office Culture- Interns will experience how a consulting firm operates with an emphasis on client service interaction and the overall culture of a 40-person consulting firm operating in a remote environment. Interns will assist in building internal team resources and infrastructure to support multiple client service models. Interns will receive guidance, knowledge, and direct feedback on the importance of communication skills, virtual communication etiquette, professionalism, networking, and other keys to success in an office environment.
- Speakers and Individual Mentors- Interns will participate in several McAllister & Quinn sponsored events involving experienced speakers focused on public policy, career development, and other relevant topics. In addition, each intern will be assigned an individual McAllister & Quinn mentor who will serve as a resource and sounding board for career advice, resume development, networking and other areas.
- Conduct substantive issue/topic area research related to trends, and priorities of client institutions, analysis of federal budgets, and appropriations, as well as related legislative and federal policy matters
- Prospect for federal and foundation funding opportunities and synthesize relevant information for staff and client briefings
- Create organizational profiles for business development purposes
- Assist in the preparation for, as well as attend, virtual/webcast Congressional hearings/meetingsoProduce summaries and analyses of attended events
- Assist with fundraising events