Mighty Writers: El Futuro at Kennett Square
300 N Guernsey Rd., West Grove, PA
Fridays 1:30 – 3:30
- Support Philly sites by data-mining websites for email addresses associated with schools and organizations in target cities,
- Maintain physical presence and support programs at site – minimum 10 hours/week:
- Either 10 hours/week for 15 weeks OR 15 hours/week for 10 weeks.
- Flexible: Students choose their preferred schedule based upon their semester schedule.
- Stay informed about current projects and timelines for writing assignments and programs
- Familiarity with Mighty Writers writing rubrics and best practices of writing instruction for implementation throughout programs
- Read and respond to student writing
- Assist with preparing a variety of documents (e.g. correspondence, agendas, event programs, bulletins, etc.) for workshops and other programs.
- Assist with responding to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, parents, students, public agencies, etc.)
- Help with overseeing inventory of supplies and materials
- Help to oversee some operations, such as:
- Troubleshoot physical site issues as needed (electric, HVAC, plumbing)
- Keep site clean and in good shape
- Outfit spaces with new/current technology and replace as needed
- Systems (computers, phones)
- Be one of the public faces of the organization and represent Mighty Writers to the media, other organizations and the public at large
- Remain knowledgeable and informed regarding any issues, regulations or professional
- standards that may impact Mighty Writers policies or operations.
- College credits available.
Communication & Media
English / Literary Studies
Mighty Writers is a community-based organization whose educational philosophies are reflected in our daily operations. We are looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, driven, and self-motivated to join our team. It is important for the intern to have an interest in building relationships with the staff as well as the students in order to get the most out of, and give the most back to the program.
Applicants are required to hold a high school diploma or GED and two years of college or equivalent experience. One year of direct experience working with youth in an education-focused environment is preferable. Applicants should also have a strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed and an understanding of its implementation and practical application. Verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are required along with time management, organization and computer proficiency.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Selekha Ramos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover letter should answer the following questions:
What is your educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed? Where does
this philosophy come from?
How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Equal Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.