The MW Program Intern at MW North operates out of Mighty Writers North at Vaux Family Center at 2300 Master Street and is a part-time position that reports to Program Director and supports the Program Manager in overseeing many aspects of programs including:
- Supporting daytime (8am-3pm) programs at Carver High School with writing assistance: English classes, newspaper club, writing center tutoring and more
- Assisting students in grades 7-12 with writing assigments during the school day
- Tutoring creative and informative writing during the Academy and Teen Scholars (3-6pm) and/or serving as a teaching assistant to workshops
- Supporting program registration and retention
- Taking student attendance
- Conducting family/student intake interviews
- Making family/student phone calls
- Closing programs: cleanup, breakdown and closing the writing center
The program intern also assists with some administrative tasks related to programs such as:
- Light filing
- Data collection and entry
- Document creation
- Be prompt and reliable. Maintain physical presence and support programs at site during regular hours for the term of the internship.
- Stay informed about current projects and timelines for writing assignments within the Academy program, as well as any workshops for which s/he serves as teaching assistant.
- Read new student writing and respond.
- Become familiar with Mighty Writers writing rubrics and best practices of writing instruction and implement throughout programs.
- Assist with preparing a variety of documents (e.g. correspondence, agendas, event programs, bulletins, etc.) for workshops and other programs.
- Assist with maintaining files and records pertinent to the programs.
- Responds to a variety of inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, parents, students, public agencies, etc.)
- Help with overseeing inventory of supplies and materials.
- Keep sites clean and in good shape
- Remain knowledgeable and informed regarding any issues, regulations or professional standards that may impact Mighty Writers’ policies or operations.
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent or sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Option to spend a portion of time (up to four hours/month) serving as a 1:1 writing mentor to one assigned youth. See program director after hiring for further information.
Education and Work Experience
- High School diploma or GED required
- Two years college and/or equivalent experience desired
- Experience working directly with city youth in an educational setting
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- One year direct experience working with youth in an education-focused environment preferred
- A strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed
- Strong organizational, time management and computer skills
- Some leadership capabilities
- Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for working with children, youth and adults
Please submit resume and cover letter to the program director of Mighty Writers North by emailing Kate Ekanem Hannum at email@example.com.
Cover letter should answer these questions:
- What is your educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed? Where does this philosophy come from?
- How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.