Our internship program reflects our mission to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education and research. Internships are available fall, spring and summer in most departments, allowing students of all ages to experience the unique character of the Aquarium and enhance their personal and professional development.
Each semester is approximately 16 weeks long. The spring semester runs from January to May, summer from May to August and fall from September to December. Exact start and end dates may be flexible as determined by the departmental needs and interns’ schedule.
Learning opportunities for interns include increased knowledge of marine science topics, marine conservation issues, curriculum design, activity development and implementation, teaching, and classroom management skills.
These are unpaid positions with flexible schedules based on the candidate’s availability and may be completed for college credit based on the college’s guidelines. Positions available include working with early childhood, school, summer camp or public conservation programs.
- Must be reliable
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must enjoy working with people of all ages
- Must be able to succeed in a team environment
- Assist Aquarium teachers in teaching classroom and field programs for students of all ages
- Travel with Aquarium teachers to present outreach programs at local schools
- Present public programs within the Aquarium
- Assist with the design and preparation of class materials
- Whenever possible, teach portions of Aquarium classes