School Nurse Manager, RN
About The Position
The School Nurse Manager, RN will oversee the Nursing and Health department at New Foundations Charter School. The School Nurse Manager, RN will supervise nursing staff and partner with school staff in both the Elementary (K-8) and High School buildings to ensure the provision of high quality health services to all students. This position furthers the mission of NFCS by promoting and protecting the optimal health status of the school community.
About Our School
Founded by Sheryl Perzel and Paul Stadelberger, New Foundations Charter School opened in 2000. Our core principle was simple: be student-centered and growth focused. This ethos remains and at New Foundations we maintain that in order for our children to thrive as leading members of society, they must grow academically, socially, and emotionally today.
Twenty years later, New Foundations is a prominent public charter school serving grades K-12 in Northeast Philadelphia and a leader in academic excellence, social emotional awareness, and community engagement. In a constantly changing world, we continue our work to evolve and improve. We are ambitious about New Foundations’ future. We’re a great school, but we still have work to do to be better and to redefine what it means to be a great school.
As an open enrollment public charter school, we seek to prepare each student for the college, career and service opportunity of their choice. New Foundations Charter School currently educates 1,500 students across a K-8 & High School campus in Northeast Philadelphia.
New Foundations has a highly diverse and representative student/family population: 57% White, 22% Black, 13% Latino, 5% Asian and 3% Mixed Races & Other; 40% Free Lunch, 30% Reduced-Price Lunch, 30% Paid Lunch. The political and ideological diversity of our student and family body is representative of the United States as a whole.
The K-8 and High School buildings are located within walking distance of each other in the Holmesburg neighborhood of Philadelphia. Both buildings include recent renovations and are well-maintained to provide a positive learning environment for students and staff.
Building highlights include bright and spacious classrooms, technology-enabled classrooms, science labs, gymnasiums with full size basketball courts, cafeterias and learning commons. The buildings are near major roadways with on-site parking for staff and within walking distance from the SEPTA Regional Rail Suburban station with trains to Center City.
New Foundations opened in 2000 and has had a strong, positive presence in its Northeast neighborhood of Philadelphia throughout the past 20 years. New Foundations is highly-regarded on various academic performance measures compared with other Philadelphia charter and district schools and we have an admissions wait-list of over 10,000 students.
All staff at New Foundations Charter School are expected to:
- Embrace our mission and embody our vision for New Foundations’ future;
- Model our core values of being student-focused, serving our community and consistently engaging in solutions-oriented and caring conversations;
- Welcome the opportunity to be constantly challenged to grow, learn and improve;
- Demonstrate role model mentality in all interactions and activities;
- Have a track record of success and achievement within an environment of limited resources.
The School Nurse Manager, RN at New Foundations Charter School is expected to;
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study with a record of academic achievement;
- Possess Pennsylvania Registered Nurse Licensure;
- Possess Pennsylvania School Nurse Certification;
- Possess a minimum of 3 years of professional nursing experience;
- Preferably possess prior medical experience working in a K-12 school or providing child/adolescent care;
- Demonstrate the ability to organize, coordinate, supervise and provide leadership;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in the care of students and management of the Health and Nursing department.
Compensation and Benefits
New Foundations offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, and we are committed to pay equity. The salary scale for our School Nurse Manager starts at $55,000 and is based on certification status, years of experience and degree level.
To join our team, please visit our website to submit an online application. Please note that only applications received through this link will be considered.
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity or your application, please reach out to Human Resources Manager, Natalie Kalish at firstname.lastname@example.org.
High School Nursing
- Serve as the certified school nurse in the high school building during school hours.
- Provide care to students as outlined in the standing orders from the School Physician.
Health and Nursing Department Management
- Research and be part of the selection process for the external School Physician who provides oversight to the NFCS Health and Nursing department.
- Manage the working relationship with the external School Physician to ensure that standing orders are received and upheld by the department.
- Lead a paperless initiative for department with the goal of decreasing the reliance on hard copy student information. Create and source electronic systems capable of replacing paper records while maintaining security and compliance with record-keeping.
- Manage vendor contracts (such as Steri-Cycle) for nursing supplies and services.
- Ensure that nursing offices in both buildings meet standards for providing care including being hygienic, well stocked and comfortable for students.
- Submit required state reporting bi-annually including the SHARRS report.
- Be present in K8 building from 2:00pm-3:00pm daily to review and audit daily services provided by LPN.
- Hire and directly manage School Nurse Assistant to perform administrative services and basic first aid.
- Determine coverage needs and ensure nursing responsibilities are fulfilled K-12 using contract substitute nurses from vendor, Bayada.
- Serve as the Registered Nurse of record for New Foundations Charter School with assistance from LPN and certified medical assistants on staff. Be “on duty” and be physically present or available by phone to provide the supplemental staff nurse with direction/expertise whenever needed for all K-12 students during school hours.
K-8 Student Preventative Care
- Develop systems at each school for screenings, daily visits and data collection.
- Ensure compliance of all students (K-12) with required immunizations, maintaining student immunizations records, tracking non-compliance and following up with families as needed.
- Maintain secure and compliant student physical and dental records.
- Create Individualized Health Plans for any student with a chronic illness K-12 and partner with students’ physicians for Action Plans, both mandated by the State.
- Manage required health screenings of all students (K-12) including the scheduling and communication of screenings to staff, students and families. Ensure that screening results are communicated to families and recorded in the student’s medical file.
- Serve as the point of contact for the Health and Nursing department to staff and families K-12 including managing mass communications.
- Identify and respond to school outbreaks of contagious diseases and inform and coordinate with the Philadelphia City Department of Health.
- Exhibit a professional image and demeanor at all times.
- Commit to continual professional growth.
- Attend all professional development meetings and faculty/staff meetings.
- Participate and support grade-level activities and school-wide functions throughout the school-year.
- Adhere to the school schedule and be punctual for work and meetings.
- Maintain an effective and positive relationship with colleagues, staff and supervisors.
- Professionally and effectively communicate with all colleagues, staff and supervisors.
- Become a member of the school community, building strong relationships and being highly engaged.
- Do whatever else is necessary or requested to provide students with the academic, social, and emotional foundations and skills necessary to become high achieving, socially competent stewards of their communities.