The Emergency Medicine Clinical Research Team (EMCRT), formerly the Emergency Medicine Academic Associate Program (EMAAP), is a team composed of Clinical Research Assistants (CRAs) and Clinical Research Coordinators (CRCs) lead by the Director of Clinical Research in Northwell Health’s Department of Emergency Medicine. The Team is based out of North Shore University Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, and Cohen’s Children’s Medical Center with enrolling studies conducted primarily in the Emergency Department and Intensive Care Units. The EMCRT also supports Emergency Medicine research throughout the Northwell Health system with the goal to help grow research in both academic and community hospitals.
The CRA position is paid and full-time with the potential for growth into a CRC with time. the CRA position is designed for recent graduates of an undergraduate or graduate program who are interested in clinical research, biostatistics, quality improvement, and/or hospital administration. The program has five key areas of focus:
- Healthcare administration
- Performance improvement
- Information technology
- Continuing Medical Education (CME)
This breadth of focus provides CRAs and CRCs with a comprehensive perspective on the workings of an academic medical department. CRAs and CRCs, in the past, have applied to medical school, physician assistant programs, graduate school to obtain a Master’s in Public Health and other graduate programs related to the medical field. We prefer candidates with a strong interest in clinical research with the interest in furthering their career in research by becoming research-based physicians, obtaining PhDs, or growing into CRCs.
CRAs and CRCs gain exposure to many aspects of academic medicine. They work primarily with physicians but, also, collaborate with other healthcare professionals including administrators, statisticians, nurses, and physician assistants. As a result, CRAs and CRCs have a strong network of current and past fellows within the larger New York healthcare community.
Clinical Research Roles & Responsibilities
- Identify, screen and consent patients for research studies in the Emergency Department and Intensive Care Units while ensuring maintenance of ethical and legal standard and compliance with local, state and national regulatory agencies
- Collaborate with physicians to plan, write and execute new and ongoing studies in the Emergency Department and Intensive Care Units, resulting in many opportunities for co-authorship on various publications
- Participate as study coordinators in the Emergency Medicine Research Consortium to manage investigator-initiated and sponsored studies lead by Emergency Medicine physicians throughout Northwell Health
- Assume on-call responsibilities for patient enrollment and other projects
- Oversee data collection and regulatory documentation while serving as liaison between the Institutional Review Board and Biomedical Research Alliance of New York (BRANY)
- Write abstracts, manuscripts and presentations while coordinating submissions to outside agencies, including the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM), as well as other subspecialty agencies
- Procure funding, negotiate budgets, and communicate with extramural funding sources (i.e., IRB, BRANY) and national coordinating sites for institutional and multi-center research studies
- Administer the Research Internship Program, including recruitment, training and ongoing intern management
Academic & Administrative Opportunities
- Coordinate the Department of Emergency Medicine Committee meetings overseeing research, education, innovation, and faculty promotions
- Prepare Continuing Medical Education modules, workshops and regularly scheduled series
- Conduct quality assessments within the health system, and write departmental reports, reviews, and newsletters
- Participate in faculty development through the Emergency Medicine Career Advancement Program
- Engage with practicing physicians locally and nationally in professional meetings and other departmental, regional and national events
For additional information on the CRA position and EMCRT, contact our team at email@example.com.