NYC Health + Hospitals is the largest municipal health care system in the nation. We are a network of 11 hospitals, trauma centers, neighborhood health centers, nursing homes, and post-acute care centers. We are a home care agency and a health plan, MetroPlus. Our health system provides essential services to 1.4 million New Yorkers every year in more than 70 locations across the city’s five boroughs. Our diverse workforce of more than 42,000 employees are uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible. Visit us at https://www.nychealthandhospitals.org and stay connected on https://www.facebook.com/NYCHealthSystem nycHHC or Twitter@hhcnyc
NYC Health + Hospitals is also home to Correctional Health Services, one of the nation’s leading correctional health care systems in quality of, and innovations and access to care. In-jail services include medical, mental health, nursing, substance use treatment, social work, dental and vision care, discharge planning, and reentry support. In addition to providing direct patient care in the jails, CHS conducts enhanced pre-arraignment screening and forensic psychiatric examinations; and leverages the resources of the Health + Hospitals system to help discharged patients successfully return to their communities. CHS is also a pivotal partner in New York City’s criminal justice reform efforts. Our workforce is comprised of more than 1,500 dedicated professionals, with locations in all five boroughs and on Rikers Island.
At NYC Health + Hospitals, our mission is to deliver high quality care health services, without exception. Every employee takes a person-centered approach that exemplifies the ICARE values (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence) through empathic communication and partnerships between all persons.
New York City Health + Hospitals NYC H+H is the largest public health care system in the world. We are a network of 11 hospitals, trauma centers, neighborhood health centers, nursing homes, and post-acute care centers. Our health system provides essential services to 1.4 million New Yorkers ever year in more than 70 locations across the city’s five boroughs. Our workforce of more than 42,000 employees are uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible.
Correctional Health Services
The New York City jail system is the second largest in the nation. A significant number of individuals in the NYC jail system will receive care on the mental health service. The service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, medication assisted treatment (MAT), integrated re-entry services that includes alternatives to incarceration, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city. Furthermore, CHS has been engaged in an effort to better identify people with neurodevelopmental/neurocognitive disorders and to utilize psychological testing to connect people to services in the community (e.g., with OPWDD).
Under the supervision of a Senior/Supervising Psychiatrist in the Mental Health Service of CHS, this position requires the provision of high quality, team-based psychiatric services including psychopharmacologic interventions, for individuals incarcerated in the New York City jail system. The mental health service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units (“mental observation units”) for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, outpatient-level clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, integrated re-entry services, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city.
Each of the facilities in the jail system has unique patient population and environmental characteristics; each psychiatric Nurse Practitioner will be matched with the population that most closely meets their clinical expertise and desired work location and schedule. Experience working in correctional settings is not required, however the ability to work closely and effectively with multiple other disciplines, including security staff, is critical.
· Provide psychiatric care, including admission evaluations, follow-ups, and urgent and emergent consultations to individuals with mental health needs
· Participate in the creation of an individualized treatment plan after discussing the case with the mental health care team, collecting and reviewing psychosocial data, medical history, nursing assessment, and other pertinent information.
· Evaluate patients for the need for a higher level of care, including hospitalization, and escalate care as appropriate. If a patient is hospitalized, maintain contact with the hospital psychiatric staff to ensure continuity of care
· Provide patient education, specifically around issues related to medications and treatment adherence, and aftercare services. Document all activities in the electronic medical record in a timely, concise and clear manner
· Integrate nursing and medical concepts in planning care for medically complicated psychiatric patients.
· Provide consultation to non-prescribing mental health staff and medical staff about diagnosis, treatment and/or the need for psychiatric medication
· Counsel patients using advanced psychotherapeutic techniques, including in group settings if needed
· Participate in team meetings with the treatment staff, on a daily basis if working on a mental observation unit and on a weekly basis if working in one of the clinics
· Engage in clinical supervision, as indicated, with the Supervising or Senior psychiatrist
· Provide clinical oversight for psychiatric nurse practitioner trainees or other trainees, as needed, including appropriate direct supervision and documentation of evaluation and feedback
· Other duties as assigned by the Senior Psychiatrist or Mental Health Manager for the facility, Medical Director or Chief of Service for Psychiatry, or their respective designees
1. A valid New York State license and current registration to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse and,
2. Current certification as a Nurse Practitioner issued by the New York State Department of Education and,
3. A current certificate issued by the State Education Department to prescribe medication, and,
4. 4. Two years satisfactory experience as a Nurse Practitioner, or two years satisfactory experience as a Registered Professional Nurse, eighteen months of which must be as a Nurse Practitioner
5. At least 3 years of hospital experience both as RN & NP in Behavioral Health
6. An equivalent and satisfactory combination of education and experience may be considered
· Demonstrate advanced knowledge of psychopathology in assessing patients in need of mental health treatment, including mental status examination and diagnosis.
· Demonstrate advanced knowledge of psychopharmacology as it pertains to the patient population being treated and writing prescriptions.
For Assignment to Nurse Practitioner
1. A valid New York State license and current registration to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse; and
2. Current certificate as a Nurse Practitioner issued by the New York State Department of Education (NYSED); and
3. A current certification issued by the State Education Department to prescribe medication.
For Assignment to Nurse Practitioner (Primary Care/Behavioral Health)
1. In addition to meeting the qualification requirements of Nurse Practitioner, must be assigned to a Primary Care or Psychiatric/Behavioral Health setting
How to Apply:
Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required prior to hire.
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button or mail your resume, noting the above Job ID #, to:
NYC Health + Hospitals / Correctional Health Services
Human Resources Department
55 Water Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10041
Attn: Talent Acquisition
If applying online, please include your cover letter in the same file attachment with your uploaded resume.
NYC Health and Hospitals offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
· Comprehensive Health Benefits for employees hired to work 20+ hrs. per week
· Retirement Savings and Pension Plans
· Loan Forgiveness Programs for eligible employees
· Paid Holidays and Vacation in accordance with employees’ Collectively bargained contracts
· College tuition discounts and professional development opportunities