PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Staff Nurse is a registered professional nurse who is part of a multi- disciplinary team in the Department of Behavioral providing nursing care for selected population seeking mental health services. The population serviced includes child, adolescent, adult and geriatric. Provision of care is done utilizing nursing processes and Watson Theory of caring within the nursing scope as established by State Board of Nursing, American Nursing Association scope and standards of practice and other regulation standards, in addition to Kings County Behavioral Health Policy and Procedures. He or She collaborates with patient and significant others in a holistic manner which consoles the psychosocial, spiritual, cultural and sexual orientation that may infringe on their perception of mental illness.
Staff Nurse reports to AHN on their assigned tour, or director using the Behavioral Health Escalation guidelines. In accordance the UAPs reports to the Staff Nurse.
AREAS OF RESPONSINILITIES
Clinical Activities Associated with the Nursing Process
- Demonstrates knowledge (i.e. theories of growth and development, biological, behavioral and social health patterns associated with chemical dependency) through the provision of Behavioral Health mental health nursing (i.e. the therapeutic use of self).
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Comprehensive Physical assessment, trauma informed care, crisis intervention, risk assessment, the CTRS Triage process, chemical dependency to complete the triage assessment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Nursing process to initiate, implement and revise a written plan of care and measurable goals individualized to meet each patient and family needs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of team process in order to collaborate with the multi- disciplinary team in the development of the multi- disciplinary plan of care. Attend and participate in huddle report.
- Demonstrate knowledge of therapeutic relation, communicate and coping skills, and crisis intervention to promote the alleviation of both physical and psychosocial stressors. In addition, the staff nurse will identify and utilize the patient support system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of motivational interview skills to assess, promote and implement patient and family centered educational needs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of policy, procedure and skill in appreciation of close and constant observation levels. In addition, he or she is responsible to manage other special situations such as code 66, code 99, code orange and code white.
- Demonstrate knowledge about and skill in the administration of pharmacological and other medications and other treatment modalities and document their effectiveness.
- Demonstrate knowledge about PMCS techniques and skill in the application of restraints in accordance with policy and procedure.
- Collaborates in the maintenance of a therapeutic milieu that respects patients’ rights and provides a safe environment to facilitate therapeutic gains in the areas of communication and social living skills.
- Utilizes principles of group dynamics and techniques to initiate and/or co-facilitate group work activities on a progressive basis.
- Perform phlebotomy, EKG function and maintain IV therapy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of all reportable incidences to individual agencies (ACS, APS, and Justice Center, NY Safe Act etc.) In addition, initiate incident reports in accordance with Kings County established policy and procedure and participates in appropriate investigations including root cause analysis of the sentinel events on “near miss” in order to identify corrective measures and prevent recurrences.
- Knowledge of LEP procedures including language with interpret services, services for the deaf, blind and special circumstances such as Seeing Eye dog.
Administrative Activities Associates with Accountability and Responsibility
- Performs within the multi-disciplinary setting as a team leader and teaches guides or supervises all Licensed Practical Nurses and UAPs.
- Accepts charge responsibility and delegate’s assignments based on patient acuity and employee skill level of competency.
- Participates in the evaluating process of staff through input to the Head Nurse and/or Supervisor.
- Participates in performance improvement activities through gathering data, monitoring and evaluating care to ensure compliance with standards within evidence-based practice.
- Participates in the orientation process of new nursing employees. Acts in the role of a preceptor as designated following training by Assistant Director of Nursing.
- Communicates formally and informally patient care issues of concern to Head/Charge Nurse, Nursing Supervisor and/or Physician.
- Participates in peer review and share information with staff.
- Attend unit based and organization meeting; be informed by reading and acknowledging policy and memorandum and meeting minutes. Complete all required surveys and compliance training.
- Demonstrates knowledge about patient rights and community mental health laws.
- Adheres to customer service standards, HIPPA and HCAPS.
- Fosters the cultural change process through initiation of and participation in forums that encourage open discussion and where staff input is sought, valued and utilized as appropriate in the decision-making process.
Life Safety Maintenance Activities
- Certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support, ACLS and RN Licensure.
- Demonstrates understanding of emergency procedures; Code 711, Fire and Evacuation Procedures, Internal/External Disaster plans and procedures.
- Implement infection control policies and procedures.
- Adheres to policy and procedure related to National Patient Safety Goals.