The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Mental Health Interviewer to support the study evaluating the natural course of opioid use in patients who are prescribed extended-release/long-acting opioids as part of their routine clinical management.
The Mental Health Interviewer will act as the primary liaison between Veterans and project staff through conducting mental health diagnostic interviews with VA patients. This position will also support the Principal Investigator (PI), Project Manager, and Research Team in administrative components.
Work Schedule: Must be flexible to schedule and conduct evening and weekend interviews.
This is a part-time (0-19 hours a week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Location: Menlo Park, CA.
Hourly pay rate = $22.61.
- Sick Pay
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Conduct semi-structured mental health diagnostic interviews with complex populations according to research protocols;
- Use specialized computer programs to assist in participant identification, data collection, and tracking such as DatStat, and electronic medical records;
- Identify, appropriately respond to, triage, report and follow up on participant-related concerns, including detailed documentation of critical incidents (e.g., reports of suicide ideation/intent);
- Participate in all study-related training sessions, which may include travel;
- Assure quality data are collected and managed per Human Subjects Protections rules and regulations;
- Assist in the implementation of quality assurance procedures and on-going monitoring of data collection.
- Support the PI, project manager, and research team in meeting administrative and compliance requirements;
- Assist in dissemination of site-specific project information and study site progress updates/reports;
- Assist with other study-related duties including support of biorepository needs.
Contribute to dissemination of study results including:
- Contribute to publication of manuscripts and present results at conferences and workshops;
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications, which may include drafting assigned sections.
- Assist with other tasks assigned by PI when needed.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in psychology (clinical or counseling), social work, or Nurse Practitioner degree in psychiatry/mental health, or equivalent is required.
License/Certification: Valid Driver’s License is required.
- Required: One or more years in research or working with patients with complex mental health disorders;
- Desired: approved appointment with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS).
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Working knowledge of diagnostic structured interviews such as PRISM, SCID, or MINI;
- Working knowledge of the etiology and diagnosis of mental illness and addictions and DSM-V diagnoses and diagnostic criteria;
- Ability to conduct structured psychiatric diagnostic interviews with a variety of age groups and types of illness;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Effective interpersonal skills, excellent verbal communication and written skills;
- Ability to effectively work in different locations to conduct on-site, in-person interviews;
- Flexibility to schedule and conduct evening and weekend interviews;
- Organized, detail-oriented, self-directed/takes initiative, and dependable;
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in a research setting following standardized protocols to collect data;
- Ability to effectively work as part of a team;
- Able to become knowledgeable and adhere to VA rules and regulations, as well as standard procedures in clinical research;
- Familiarity with a wide range of concepts, principles and practices in the scientific area;
- Familiarity with addiction research or genetics.
Physical Conditions: Lifting (up to) 20 lbs. occasionally, sitting and standing for long periods of time, bending, repetitive motion, etc.
Environmental Demands: Exposure to office, hospital/clinical and wet lab environments. Exposure to body fluids (i.e., collection and transportation of human saliva). Travel to different locations to conduct onsite in-person interviews.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.