The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Contracts and Grants Post-Award Analyst to manage post award activities on grants and contracts, both routine and complex. The Post-Award Analyst will independently provide comprehensive post-award service to Principal Investigators (PI’s).
The focus in this position and at PAVIR overall is more on grants administration, rather than contracts. We are seeking job applicants who have experience in grant administration or are interested in converting their contracting experience to become a grant analyst. The hiring manager strongly encourages job applicants tosubmit a cover letter when they apply for this position.
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Hospital in Palo Alto, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Benefits:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to complete a background check.
Perform timely, compliant, high quality post-award administration:
- Review monthly PI statements
- Set up new budgets in Solomon software as needed
- Monitor spending on an ongoing and regular basis
- Prepare projections and forecasts identifying any areas needing update
- Review and approve requisitions/purchase orders and personnel requests assuring availability of funds and appropriateness of expenditures in accordance with sponsor, PAVIR and VA policies and regulations
- Monitor effort certification for accuracy and timeliness
- Prepare timely submission of scientific and financial progress reports to sponsors
- Review files for post-award after hand-off from pre-award
- Interpret sponsor requirements and incorporate with understanding of VA and PAVIR policies
- Review, understand and be able to communicate the need for sponsor’s prior approval processes
- Implement internal compliance requirements, including VA compliance
- Perform PAVIR processes for data input and file maintenance
Communicate with internal and external parties:
- Communicate status updates and work flow needs intra- and inter-departmentally
- Communicate with PIs monthly or more frequently if needed to review PI portfolio including monthly expenses, projects, effort, and reporting requirements
- Liaise between PI and sponsor or subrecipients to obtain needed approvals
- Initiate, amend, and terminate subaward agreements and personnel agreements
- Assist with other tasks as assigned
- Participate in department activities and process improvement activities, as well as policy development
- May be assigned a lead role in moderate complexity work groups.
- Maintain internal post-award process, including accurate qualitative and financial data input and data maintenance
- Contribute and help maintain Standard Operating Procedures for department and position
Required: B.A./B.S. degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience);
Desired: B.A./B.S. degree in business, finance, accounting, or Research Administration.
CERTIFICATION: CRA certification desired.
Required: at least 1 year of experience in an academic or research office setting involving interactions with individuals at all levels; Experience providing customer service.
Desired: 3+ years of work experience in research administration involving interactions with individuals at all levels; 2+ years of Federal post award administration in medical research environments, including NIH and DOD funding.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Basic knowledge in areas of Post-Award Grants Management;
- Ability to create, review and interpret basic financial project reports;
- Demonstrated ability to work with both detailed and broad guidance, seeking out answers using available resources;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex and/or ambiguous situations, identify workable solutions and their potential outcomes;
- Must have good judgment and decision-making skills;
- Strong initiative in resolving problems and developing and implementing solutions, under the guidance of Manager;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively balance customer service with regulatory compliance;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; must be proactive and flexible;
- Experience managing multiple priorities and ability to know when to ask for help when prioritizing in a deadline-driven environment;
- Ability to learn spreadsheet and database software in financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports;
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and collegially in a team environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in customer service and performance.
- Comprehensive knowledge in areas of Post-Award Grants Management;
- Experience creating, reviewing and interpreting financial project reports of moderate scope and complexity;
- Knowledge of sponsored-project related compliance, including knowledge of federal regulations, such as Uniform Guidance and NIH grants policy statement;
- Federal and non-federal grants administration knowledge;
- Experience working in a professional research environment;
- Experience submitting proposals to a large number of diverse external funding sources.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Frequently sit for long periods of time to perform desk-based computer tasks. Occasionally lift / carry / push / pull objects that weigh up to 10 lbs.
Environmental: Office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information:www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.