The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Assistant to support investigations in the Nicolls laboratory that study pathophysiology causes and develop treatments for two vascular diseases: Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension and Lymphedema.
The Research Assistant will participate in animal husbandry and surgeries under the supervision of Project Director – Amy Tian, Ph.D. This position will also perform other animal operation related functions, such as safety/inspection paperwork.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology and cellular biology. Ideally, the Research Assistant will have experience with animal studies. More information about the Nicolls Laboratory can be found here: http://med.stanford.edu/nicollslab.html
This is a full-time, non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Maintain rat and mouse colonies including breeding, weaning, and PCR genotyping;
- Perform or assist with rat and mouse experiments, such as treatments and surgeries;
- Perform other duties as needed.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students with a graduation date scheduled for 2020) in biological, biomedical sciences, or related field is required.
Required: 1 year or more of applicable bench lab experience, including experience with cell culture, molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemical techniques;
Desired: Previous laboratory experience with animal experimentation or animal studies, preferably working with mice.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Understanding of animal physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, and some mathematical skills;
- Ability to analyze scientific data and problem solve experiments;
- Good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with good organizational skills;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel;
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
Physical Conditions: Lifting up to 20 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental Demands: Exposure to web lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.