The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Associate to perform in vitro molecular and cell biology procedures and in vivo rodent procedures to achieve the research goals. The overall goal of the lab’s research is to explore mechanisms of cancer immunotherapy and autoimmune disease.
This is a full time, exempt (salary-paid) position. Benefits:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform molecular biology techniques (i.e., PCR genotyping);
- Perform sterile tissue culture of numerous cell and hybridoma lines; Generate, test, and maintain transfected cell lines;
- Perform in vitro cell-based assays (b-arrestin assays, transwell chemotaxis assays);
- Perform and optimize animal procedures, such as tail vein injection and immunizations;
- Monitor and check on research animals;
- Manage lab safety compliance with regulations regarding health, biosafety, safety issues, and research administration;
- Offer training and lab orientation to new students;
- Design and execute studies evaluating chemerin in cancer and autoimmune disease;
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with other lab staff and with the PI to ensure project design, prioritization and coordination;
- Produce monoclonal antibodies and mammalian proteins in various preparations;
- Carry out large scale culture of specialized cell lines for use in antibody preparation and in isolation of receptors;
- Contribute to manuscript and grant preparation.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or in a related field;
Desired: Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or in a related field.
- Two years of related experience in a wet lab setting;
- Working with research animals, especially rodents;
- Proficiency in PCR, ELISA, and flow cytometry.
Desired: Three or more years of related experience in a wet lab setting.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS/ ABILITIES:
- Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment;
- Knowledge of immunology, principles of cell culture, and molecular biology;
- Strong knowledge of research procedures or protocol gained through education and/or experience;
- Ability to comply with proper research laboratory safety procedures and protocols;
- Good interpersonal skills in working with PIs, researchers, and other lab staff;
- Ability to use logic and analysis to identify the pros and cons of an experimental process;
- Ability to read directions and follow procedures;
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments independently;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 10 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to wet lab environment, radiation, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs
Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.