Payette, based in downtown Boston, is a leading architectural design firm specializing in the programming, planning, and design of complex buildings for medical and scientific research, academic teaching, healthcare, and corporate research. We provide a dynamic, collaborative environment which supports innovation and creativity, allowing each team member to significantly contribute to the design process. We invest in our staff and firmly believe there is an opportunity for anyone with talent and initiative to reach any level in our organization.
In recognition of the quality of the firm’s work and professional leadership, Payette received the 2019 AIA Architecture Firm Award, the highest national honor bestowed upon an architectural practice.
Payette is looking for a highly motivated computational designer to join our Engine group. This group, comprised of Building Science, Space Strategies, Fabrication, and Design Visualization, works closely with architecture teams to study, develop, and present complex design solutions. You will work within the Design Visualization group advancing parametric modelling, building VR/AR experiences, and in support of marketing efforts. As a computational Designer at Payette you will engage with project teams to create award winning designs by developing complex parametric geometry solutions. A strong candidate shows enthusiasm for design technology and using design-based solutions to improve the design and performance of the built environment. This position interfaces with the whole of the engine group building custom tools and apps, and with designers on all project teams. Must be a self-starter and eager to create and foster professional relationships within the firm.
Candidates should possess the following prerequisite qualifications for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture and/or advanced degree in Computational Design or similar.
- Expert computation/generative design skills with Grasshopper (Dynamo is a plus).
- An entrepreneurial spirit and drive to seek out and solve problems.
- Ability to multi-task various projects efficiently and work well under deadlines.
- Attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent 3D modeling skills with Rhino.
Other position qualifications include:
- Enthusiastic about researching and incorporating new software and tools.
- Rendering experience using Enscape, 3dStudio Max and Vray a plus.
- Knowledge of Unity and/or Android/IOS for building AR/VR experiences.
- Seek out new opportunities and be a creative thinker.
- Work well with others and help promote computational design and design technology throughout the firm.
- Work closely with Building Science and Space Strategies groups developing custom tools.
Candidate portfolios should ideally demonstrate:
- Examples of architecture modeled in Rhino.
- Examples of scripting in Grasshopper.
- Examples of code or link to GitHub profile for custom tools and apps.
Payette is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.
Resumes submitted online will be considered. Please note for all documents (resume, cover letter, and portfolio) the maximum files size is 5 MB.