Reflective Democracy Director: Position Available
Pennsylvania Voice (PA Voice) seeks a talented leader to join the leadership team with the organization. The successful candidate will work to oversee a multi-year campaign to advocate for fair, equitable, and community-driven redistricting including developing voting maps and build a more reflective democracy in Pennsylvania. We seek a strategist with field, coalition and campaign skills who will work well as a collaborative team player in a fast-paced organization.
About Pennsylvania Voice: Pennsylvania Voice is a statewide network of 35 organizations committed to creating a fair and just Pennsylvania by making our democracy more accessible, inclusive, and representative. Pennsylvania Voice works with our partners to employs the principles of collective impact, unifying change agents from different sectors around common goals to strengthen our democracy, building the capacity of partners with shared resources, and amplifying the voices of communities of color.
A small team of experienced organizers/strategists staff Pennsylvania Voice. Staff support, facilitate, and build relationships between state leaders representing 35 distinct organizations around four specific program areas:
· Civic Engagement: Creating year-round integrated voter engagement campaigns to increase voting, voter registration, and participation in civic life among all Pennsylvanians and specifically Black, Indigenous and communities of color.
· Civic Access: Modernizing elections to make voting more convenient and fully accessible to all.
· Civic Representation: Restoring true representation to our state’s democracy by building on the 2020 Census to engage communities in the redistricting process and work for community driven maps.
· Racial Equity: Creating more opportunities to support Black, Indigenous, and People of Color leadership development.
This work is grounded in our shared commitment to racial and gender equity.
The Reflective Democracy Director is responsible for the following specific responsibilities:
· Oversee the implementation and execution of the partners redistricting concept. This will include execution of specific goals, metrics, timeline, and a budget for a multi-county field campaign to build unity coalitions in 3-8 key counties and across the state.
· Identify and recruit stakeholders to engage in this coordinated effort.
· Educate and engage state and local elected leaders on the importance of supporting community-driven voting maps that would lead to a more reflective democracy.
· Advocate at the state and federal level, for policy improvements to fair and equitable voting maps.
· Develop key performance metrics to evaluate the success of individual tactics as well as the overall effectiveness of campaign plans.
· Provide regular, comprehensive updates on campaign progress to various stakeholders.
· Additional duties include conducting routine check-ins with stakeholders, writing policy papers, organizing opportunities to collective action, etc.
In addition, the Reflective Democracy Director will assist the entire PA Voice team and our mission by:
· Building and maintaining strategic relationships across the state with nonprofit leaders, community organizations, elected leaders and academic/policy experts in the service of priorities named by partner organizations.
· Contributing toward the direction of the organization and other program goals.
We seek candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, are excellent problem solvers, and have strong project management skills. You should have:
· Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities.
· Experience managing a campaign strategy demonstrated by the ability to articulate the goals, strategy, activities, and results of previous campaigns.
· Experience managing a political issue and / or organizing campaign and past successful experience managing groups of people and developing and maintaining strong relationships with all kinds of people and communities.
· At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
· Willingness and aptitude to learn new technical skills.
· Excellent communication skills (both written and oral).
· Ability to facilitate meetings with diverse participants.
· Willing to work sometimes long, irregular hours, and to travel as needed—on a daily basis, work will likely be remote from home into 2021.
· Familiarity with state government and politics is ideal.
· Familiarity with voter registration drives and/or voter contact programs preferred.
· Ability to work well under pressure, while managing multiple projects and maintaining a high level of detail orientation and meeting deadlines.
Compensation: Depends on experience and is highly competitive. Salary range is $70,000 -$75,000 with excellent benefits.
Pennsylvania Voice is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to Erin Casey, Executive Director at email@example.com Please no phone calls.
DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website, www.pavoice.org/jobs
Pennsylvania Voice is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Pennsylvania Voice encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply. Pennsylvania Voice hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.