Philadelphia VIP, the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, recruits, trains, and supports volunteer attorneys who provide free legal services to low-income clients.
LawWorks is the community economic development project of Philadelphia VIP that works with small business and nonprofit organization clients. LawWorks strengthens Philadelphia communities by providing these clients with pro bono legal advice and transactional representation. Philadelphia VIP seeks a highly motivated undergraduate student to serve as an intern with LawWorks. The LawWorks intern will gain valuable experience by:
- Communicating with small business and nonprofit organization clients
- Drafting written communication with diverse constituents
- Implementing and improving processes to recruit clients and volunteers, following up on referred cases, and spreading awareness of resources through LawWorks
VIP values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply.
VIP anticipates working remotely for the duration of this internship period.
- Passion for access to justice for underserved communities and commitment to VIP’s volunteer-based service model
- Interest in community development, especially small businesses and/or neighborhood organizations
- Prior experience in event coordination and/or interviewing desirable
- Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Communicate with clients requesting legal assistance to gather information to support their cases
- Communicate with volunteer attorneys to encourage case placement
- Assist in preparing client newsletter and outreach events
- Update written materials, including promotional flyers and client guides
- Follow up on referred cases to get updates from clients and volunteer attorneys
- Collect and analyze data to evaluate program impact
- Draft written communications to clients and volunteer attorneys to inform them of upcoming events and resources
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter and resume to Joe B. Durkin, Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a priority deadline of November 6, 2020.
What to include in your cover letter: We invite you to include a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff team and legal practice.