WASHINGTON, DC /OFFICE OF THE SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, POLICY CAMPAIGNS & ADVOCACY (PCA) – LITIGATION & LAW / FULL TIME – UNION
Paralegal/Legal Assistant – U.S. Reproductive Rights Litigation & Policy
Two-Year Position – Washington, DC
The Public Policy Litigation & Law Department (PPL&L) of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) conducts impact litigation in state and federal courts across the country and provides legal advice to PPFA and Planned Parenthood affiliates about pending legislation, regulatory matters and activities of those opposed to Planned Parenthood that interfere with our ability to provide comprehensive reproductive health care at the national, state, and local levels.
Provide support for attorneys conducting reproductive rights litigation and policy work including: legal and factual research using Westlaw, academic databases and the Internet; cite-checking and copy-editing briefs; assisting in production and service of filings; using G Suite programs to write, edit and analyze non-legal documents describing developments in the area of reproductive rights law; and responding to requests for information. Perform various administrative tasks including: printing, compiling binders, out-of-office errands, finance, and assisting in travel and meeting arrangements.
- A Bachelor’s degree; superior research, writing and editing skills (knowledge of Westlaw and G Suite not required; we will train as needed); ability to work as part of a team as well as independently; ability to learn complex tasks and concepts quickly; excellent communication skills, including ability to accurately and succinctly impart knowledge and skills to others; attention to detail; initiative; resourcefulness; ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize; and maintain a sense of humor.
- This is a two-year position. Successful applicants have been recent college graduates interested in gaining work experience before applying to law/graduate school or other public policy positions.
- $55,000, plus comprehensive benefits such as medical (incl. mental health), vision and dental coverage.
- Applicants should submit a cover letter (including applicant’s pronouns, if comfortable disclosing), résumé, writing sample (any original text the applicant feels best represents their writing abilities), and an unofficial/official transcript using the Lever portal. Applicants may address cover letters to Diana Salgado (she/her), Director, Public Policy Litigation & Law.
- Please note that given the COVID-19 pandemic, PPFA offices are currently closed and we expect that staff will be working remotely through 2021.
- PPFA is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, socioeconomic status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, sex, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity, equity, inclusion, respect, integrity, patient/client focus, and innovation.
PPFA’s mission is:
- To provide comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services in settings which preserve and protect the essential privacy and rights of each individual; To advocate public policies which guarantee these rights and ensure access to such services; To provide educational programs which enhance understanding of individual and societal implications of human sexuality; To promote research and the advancement of technology in reproductive health care and encourage understanding of their inherent bioethical, behavioral, and social implications.
Contact Information for Application Questions
- Angela Wu (she/her)
- (202) 973-4909
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We’re committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer