JOB TITLE: PSYCHIATRIC SOCIAL WORKER Job Family: Professional
DEPARTMENT: Soc. Work and Discharge Planning Class Code No: 24-224
DATE: May 14, 2010 Revised: 01-19-18
Under general supervision, provides both psychiatric and substance abuse services to patients throughout the Hospital. Analyzes client’s psychosocial needs and problems. Develops treatment goals/plans and provides appropriate clinical intervention to individuals and family members to facilitate treatment and recovery.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Obtains psychosocial history from the patient and/or family/significant other.
2. Carries out supportive psychotherapy with individuals, groups and families.
3. Develops individualized patient treatment goals and plans based on psychosocial assessment.
4. Participates in multi-disciplinary team meetings to develop and review treatment plans and patient progress.
5. Develops and implements patient discharge plans to facilitate optimal psychological and/or social functioning when the patient returns to the community.
6. Collaborates with courts, Department of Social Services, Community Mental Health, private psychiatrists, family agencies, CGS, Parks and Recreational activities and other community resources to exchange information and provide for post discharge follow-up care. Provides community resource materials to patients as needed.
7. Documents information on the patients chart concerning status of Social Work & Assessment and intervention.
8. Provides consultation services on behalf of physicians for patient needing substance abuse counseling.
9. Provides crisis intervention counseling and appropriate educational groups to patients needing substance abuse and/or psychiatric services as assigned.
10. Leads or co-leads psychotherapy groups or classes when applicable.
11. Coordinates arrangements for patient discharges from the Psychiatric Unit including scheduling appropriate support for follow-up.
12. Attends and provides in-service education as requested.
Reports to the Manager of Social Work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. MINIMUM EDUCATION: Masters Degree in Social Work and current State of Michigan License (LMSW) as a Clinical, Medical or Psychiatric Social Worker required.
2. MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE: Minimum one (1) year Case Management experience required. Two (2) years current postgraduate experience in a psychiatric setting is preferred. Current hospital-based experience preferred
3. CONTACT WITH OTHERS: Interpersonal communication skills required to effectively interact with all members of the health care team as well as family members and the community. Expected to float or be pulled to any other Behavioral Health area as needed.
4. ANALYTICAL DEMANDS: BLS (annual requirement, Recipient Rights Training, CPI-Nonviolent crises intervention, TB Skin test and mask fit (immediate upon hire and annually). Fingerprinting (immediate upon hire). Neat clean and professional appearance.
5. CERTIFICATION, LICENSURE: Current Sate of Michigan License (LMSW) as a Clinical, Medical or Psychiatric Social Worker required.
1. PHYSICAL EFFORT: Long periods of sitting, standing and walking. Must be physically able to manage patients per CPI-Non-Violent Crisis Intervention approved techniques, using the least restrictive intervention.
2. WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to potentially violent patients. Exposure to emotionally volatile patients
3. EQUIPMENT USED: Equipment necessary to perform specific tasks/duties.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty and may be asked to perform other related duties as assigned by their supervisor.
Employee Printed Name: Employee Signature: Date:
HR Rep Printed Name: HR Rep Signature: Date:
CSmith Human Resources Department
Revised 1/2018 Pontiac General Hospital