Princeton University Press (PUP) seeks a creative, collaborative, and self-driven Junior Designer to assist with marketing efforts. Reporting to the Assistant Creative Director & Curator of Website, the Junior Designer is an entry level role and ideally suited for an individual with a strong typographic sense, excellent conceptual design skills, and an avid interest in books and ideas. The ability to learn on the job and to work with others toward creative solutions is essential to success in this position. The Junior Designer is responsible for the design marketing and advertising materials that support the Press’s brand worldwide. This is a full-time position with comprehensive benefits and can be 100% remote or hybrid.
· Conceptualize and design print and digital marketing materials including, but not limited to catalogs, fliers, postcards, posters, social media graphics, email assets infographics, and original illustrations.
· Produce professional photographs of products and people.
· Conceptualize and create short video trailers and animations for scholarly books across a range of subjects.
· Create book mockups and product simulations.
· Create original book cover designs. Consider priorities of marketing, sales, publicity, acquisitions editors, and authors as conveyed at cover design meetings.
· Work closely with the Creative Director and Assistant Creative Director to refine designs, incorporate feedback, and articulate and develop the Press’s brand across a unified visual system.
· Stay current with new design trends, marketing news, technologies, and software updates.
· Participate in group brainstorms and discussions.
· Degree from a 4-year college or university (BFA in Design or a related field strongly preferred), 1 year of design experience, and an interest in publishing.
· A combination of equivalent education and work experience may be substituted for the above requirements.
· Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud on a Mac platform.
· Design proficiency using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, FinalCut Pro, Premier Pro, AfterEffects, and Acrobat Pro. Familiarity with databases, and Microsoft Word.
· Excellent design ability, including strong type design, as demonstrated in portfolio.
· Ability to communicate clearly at all levels, both in-house and with commercial printers and vendors.
· Must have excellent organizational skills, the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines, and be detail oriented.
· Must be able to work as a member of a team as well as independently.
· Must be a creative problem solver, flexible in incorporating the ideas of others into layout or design while at the same time maintaining design and brand integrity.
· An ongoing curiosity about trends in book design and in graphic design generally.
· Knowledge of Chinese design aesthetics is a plus.
· Enthusiasm for collaboration, and commitment to PUP’s professional code of conduct, located at https://press.princeton.edu/about/mission-values.
· While the Princeton, NJ office is currently closed due to the pandemic, once the office reopens, interested candidates who prefer to work on-site will be able to work from the Press’s NJ office for networking and professional development. Flexibility with in-office days will be permitted as the Press supports hybrid work.
Base Salary: $40,000/year plus a comprehensive benefits package. Starting salary may be negotiable based on relevant skills and prior experience.
PUP is a strong advocate for greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in the university press community. Individuals who are members of groups underrepresented in academic publishing are encouraged to apply. The Press provides a comprehensive and affordable benefits package and is located in a historic building on Princeton University’s campus that is walking distance from downtown Princeton with easy car access to Route 1 and walking distance from the Princeton train station.
Application Instructions: Submit cover letter*, resume, and portfolio at PUP’s application website. You will be requested to provide the link to an e-portfolio during the online application process.
*Please include in your cover letter salary requirements and a description of what you’re currently reading and what’s on your “to read” list.
The Direct Apply URL for this position is: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=38559&clientkey=974A67DA17E8D95AE1C19CF4D8426F23
Due to application volume, only finalists will be contacted. For more information on Princeton University Press, visit http://press.princeton.edu/.
Princeton University Press is an equal opportunity employer and employs individuals based on their abilities. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.