RTOP Music Director Interns learn from working with RTOP’s Music Director who helps prepare musical performances, including casting, rehearsing with vocalists, and conducting.
At RTOP, the music director serves in several capacities–working with singers in partnership with the director, rehearsing the cast, and conduct warmups before all performances.
It is essential that the production’s director and musical director have an ongoing and mutually supportive collaboration. The director communicates his or her vision of the show, and the music director uses his or her understanding of the show’s musical demands to help the director (and cast) be successful. The musical director works with the director in scheduling rehearsals, which cast members need to be there, and what the directors expect to accomplish at each rehearsal.
Typical responsibilities may include:
· Auditioning the singers and making casting recommendations to the director
· Scheduling music rehearsals in collaboration with the director, choreographer and stage manager
· Helping cast members learn their music
· Leading music rehearsals for principals, chorus and orchestra
· In consultation with the producer and director, selecting a rehearsal pianist
· Working with the sound designer to balance sound.
· Attending production meetings and rehearsals, as needed
· Secure rehearsal tracks and prompt distribution to the cast through the productions stage manager.
· Working with instrumental musicians union, if applicable.
Beyond the expected musical skills required to perform key duties, the music director must have strong communication and organizational ability.