Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) is seeking a Nurse Practitioner (NP) to join its Health Services Office. The Health Services Center provides high-quality, confidential healthcare services to students in an ambulatory care setting, including RN triage for first aid/emergent care, acute care visits, and referrals to specialists. RISD NPs play a key role in promoting and delivering health care to RISD students who are highly-motivated and talented, bringing deep engagement in their disciplines and an incredibly strong work ethic. Our students are diverse, coming from a wide range of geographic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds, representing all forms of diversity. We seek a culturally competent candidate who will thrive in a campus environment that advances principles of social equity and inclusion, environmental and climate justice, and equal access to resources and opportunities.
The NP provides direct medical care to students, conducts physical and gynecologic exams, documents patients’ progress, and implements health and wellness educational programs for the campus community. This position keeps abreast of the guidance set forth by the State Board of Registered Nursing and assists in the development of protocols in conjunction with the Director and corroborating physician(s). As well, the role recommends and implements daily procedures and clinic operations based on best practices and legal mandates.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Perform physical and gynecologic examinations; diagnose and treat acute illness; and provide medical support for chronic illness and injuries.
- Assess physical and mental status of patients, as indicated
- Make decisions regarding appropriate care for patients and need for consultation with specialists.
- Provide appropriate emergency response and crisis intervention, when indicated.
- Make appropriate referrals and facilitate access to both primary care providers and community health resources.
- Complete consistent, timely and thorough patient documentation. Update and maintain medical records in Health Services’ EMR system.
- Read, interpret, apply, and explain Health Services rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Understand and work within scope of authority/practice and under guidelines/protocols as indicated under licensure.
- Participate in outreach programming and education.
Master’s degree in nursing, or the equivalent. Prior experience as a Nurse Practitioner. Current certification as an Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner. Must possess State of Rhode Island APRN license with prescriptive privileges and a current federal DEA number. Current, valid CPR certification. Ability to understand technical and medical terminology. Prior experience using an EMR system.
Must possess knowledge of current standards of practice, including State and Federal laws and regulations that apply to the provision of health care such as the Nurse Practice Act, HIPAA, and Universal Precaution standards; and community health principles including communicable disease epidemiology, prevention, and control per the local and state public health departments and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
Ability to work cooperatively with, have an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, international, disability, religious, and sexual orientation populations among RISD’s college students, faculty, and staff. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing regarding a variety of health-related topics to various constituents. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills. Must be able to act autonomously and show initiative, while acting in the best interest of the Health Services team.
TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: