The Staff Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
- Interviews patients pre-operatively and assesses their status for anesthesia.
- Reviews the patient’s hospital record with the anesthesiologists regarding the anesthesia plan.
- Utilizes and prepares all essential equipment and supplies to enhance effective & safe anesthesia delivery.
- Administers anesthesia and/or analgesia for surgical and/or obstetrical procedures.
- Monitors all necessary parameters to determine patient condition reaction to surgery and anesthesia.
- Advises and/or consults anesthesiologist regarding adverse reactions. Provides appropriate action as directed or required during anesthetic administration.
- Ascertains blood loss requirements and other fluids therapy needs in consultation with the anesthesiologists.
- Records the patient’s status on the clinical anesthesia record prior to, during, and following anesthesia by anesthesiologists.
- Escorts patients to the recovery room and provides comprehensive report on all aspects of the patient’s conditions to recovery room personnel.
- Observes, assists and instructs student nurse anesthetists in the clinical and functional application of a variety of procedures, anesthetic techniques and all anesthesia equipment.
- Performs departmental duties as assigned. Performs 24-hour anesthesia coverage as required and/or directed.
- Provides emergency and resuscitative care for the entire Medical Center.
- Accomplishes required post-operative anesthetic visits using department forms or progress notes.
- Provides assistance and/or supervision of services in support of patients with respiratory care needs.
- Functions as a resource person and assists in the educational process of IV’s, IV therapy respiratory care, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Assists in the training and education of Medical Center personnel as requested for various In-Service educational meetings.
- Responsible for monitoring currently in anesthesia expertise and competency, as well as maintenance for re-certification as a registered nurse anesthetist.
- Maintains faculty status in the College of Nursing.
Position Qualifications Include:
- Graduate of an approved nursing program.
- Current IL RN license and IL CRNA license Graduate of an approved anesthesia program.
- Current certification with American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (or eligible).
- Rush University Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason prohibited by law.