Position Title: Program Director, Trans Mentor Project
Status: Full-time. Will work remotely; some travel possible
Reports to: President of Board of Directors, Sam & Devorah Foundation for Trans Youth
Sam & Devorah Foundation for Transgender Youth (SDFTY) supports transgender and nonbinary youth by offering safe spaces and programs where they can connect, thrive and be empowered. Our programs include weekend teen retreats, leadership retreats for counselors, and programs for young adults 18-22 years old. Website: https://www.samdevorah.org .
For this newly created position, we are looking for a program director to further develop, launch, execute and manage our first of its kind national e-mentoring program, Trans Mentor Project . This is an innovative program that will pair transgender and nonbinary (TGNB) teens throughout the country with TGNB mentors for 1:1 video “meet-ups.” With the support and assistance of affirming mentors, mentees will discuss issues of importance to them, define and reach personal goals and explore their identity. The goal is for a positive mentee-mentor relationship to contribute to mentees feeling an increased sense of well-being, a stronger connection to the TGNB community, and a more positive view of their future. In addition, the program will also offer opportunities for large and small group interaction, workshops and community building for mentees as well as for mentors and for parents/caregivers.
The program director will focus primarily on the Trans Mentor Project , but the position also involves contributing to existing programs by helping to evaluate, strengthen and implement them and providing creative ideas for new programs to help SDFTY grow.
The role of project director requires continuous interaction with program participants with a focus on positive relationship building and problem solving. Equally important is a strong focus on all details related to the execution, maintenance and oversight of the mentoring program.
Interaction with Mentoring Program Participants
- Review, screen and interview prospective mentees and mentors to assess motivation to participate, comfort with communicating via 1:1 video conferencing, characteristics of mentor or mentee important in making matches etc.; use all available information to determine acceptance and mentee-mentor matches.
- Organize and assist in facilitation of pre-match and ongoing mentor training and supervision. Organize and facilitate mentee orientation.
- Provide ongoing group supervision, guidance and support to mentors, as well as individual guidance to mentors and mentees as needed.
- Respond to questions, concerns and input from parents/caregivers.
- Meet with individual mentor-mentee pairs to provide oversight and guidance.
- Provide appropriate emergency referrals and guidance to program participants as needed.
- Organize and lead monthly meetings of the program’s advisory committee; work collaboratively with all stakeholders on committee.
Execution, Management and Oversight of Mentoring Program
- Develop tools, procedures and materials as needed for implementation of program.
- Create and oversee implementation of program marketing/recruitment strategies.
- Become thoroughly versed in using and instructing others to use the online software
- platform for mentee-mentor 1:1 meet-ups, management of data, including
- applications, consent forms, matching and evaluation data; monitor mentor and mentee session notes, individual goals and progress towards goals.
- Support SDFTY’s social media presence by creating/identifying stories, updates, resources and new initiatives related to mentoring program.
- Elicit feedback from program participants to identify and hire speakers on topics of interest; plan and oversee these online presentations.
- Form a strong collaboration with organizations through which the program will advertise and recruit mentors and mentees.
- Manage program budget.
- Communicate regularly and work collaboratively with SDFTY leadership to discuss and
- make program improvements, manage issues and set program direction.
- SDFTY is committed to diversity; transgender and nonbinary people are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Master’s degree in social work, a human service or related field of study, or commensurate work experience.
- Several years of experience developing and managing or coordinating youth. development and/or mentoring programs. Experience with TGNB programs a plus.
- Experience supervising or leading youth and/or young adults.
- Conflict resolution and anti-bias training a plus.
- Self-motivated and directed with ability to complete work independently.
- Comfortable working remotely.
- Demonstrated team orientation that combines collegiality and creativity to inspire and motivate others.
- Strong planning, organizational skills, and time management skills; attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, problem solve and offer solutions to challenges.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Analytic ability including aptitude for financial analysis of programs.
- Positive, enthusiastic can-do approach; sense of humor and humility.
- Comfort working with, supporting and empowering diverse TGNB people.
- Ability to work and connect with diverse communities, people and partners, and a
- commitment to promote inclusion in all practices and efforts.
SDFTY is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all candidates based on merit; we strongly encourage and seek qualified applications from underrepresented groups and strongly encourage individuals who are transgender/nonbinary.
This is a full-time position with health insurance contribution, holidays and vacation time. Salary range is $65,000 – $75,000.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com