Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the Role
We are looking for talented engineers to join our data science team! Please note we only have internship opportunities during Summer 2021.
The Software Engineering Intern, Data Science will be a core technical contributor to the team. They will be tasked with analyzing large volumes of complex data, building models to help answer pressing business questions or build customer-facing data products, and summarizing / visualizing their findings for both technical and non-technical audiences. The Software Engineering Intern, Data Science will work closely with technical and business leadership for the product or functional they are aligned to and iterate on the output with stakeholders.
About the Team:
Come help us build out the Data Science function at Samsara! To support Samsara’s exponential growth, the Data Science team Data Science team is focused on 3 core areas:
- Help Samsara and our customers solve their toughest problems through data (including building both internal and customer facing data products)
- Enable Samsara teams to be more data savvy by building high quality data assets, sharing best practices, and providing training and consultations
- Ensure the integrity of our data to help us confidently make important business decisions
Members of Data Science will work cross-functionally with other teams across Samsara, getting an opportunity to interact with diverse data sets, including our large volumes of time-series sensor data (nearly 3M data points collected every minute!)
Examples of day-to-day responsibilities:
- Leveraging SQL or Python to shape and structure large, complex data sets for analysis
- Building statistical, quantitative, or machine learning models to identify patterns, anomalies, and root causes (e.g., using telemetry data to detect vehicle anomalies)
- Meeting with technical and non-technical stakeholders to understand data structures and determine business priorities
- Creating data visualizations, data products, and other summary output to support decision-making from operational and leadership teams
- Coursework in engineering or quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc.)
- Experience with data manipulation and processing, preferably in SQL or Python (e.g., using PySpark)
- Experience building statistical, machine learning, and other analytical models, preferably in Python (e.g., using TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.)
- Familiarity managing data science code via GitHub
- Comfortable reading and understanding full-stack development code (e.g., Go, Java, ReactJs) to understand data logging / instrumentation, or to build front-end data components
- Preferred: Some prior internship experience in data science or data engineering role
- Preferred: Experience implementing and optimizing machine learning models on very large datasets (1B+ records)
Working at Samsara has its perks: private medical and dental insurance, flexible vacation, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events. Post COVID, we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19 globally, Samsara’s offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of phase 1 employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and new hire onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. We have allowed employees to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees (except field roles) are expected to return to our offices when they reopen.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org