Intern Supervisor: Scientist II
Department: Research (Neuroscience)
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. We are dedicated to providing an innovative space where students can engage in meaningful work and collaborate with professionals in the biotech industry through our internship program. Sangamo’s internship program gives students the opportunity to flourish, grow and develop their expertise. We are a company that inspires and empowers everyone who works here to grow and be better than they believe they can be in our mission to collectively transform patients’ lives.
We are seeking passionate, curious, and innovative interns to contribute to our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
What Will You Get Out of This Summer Internship?
Opportunity to obtain valuable real-world experience in a biotech setting, while gaining specific field-related exposure, and making important professional connections.
Discover if a particular career path or field of study in the biotech industry is right for you.
Engage in our fun and collaborative company culture while participating in team wide social events.
Receive compensation through this paid internship.
Consideration for future full-time positions or contract roles.
Scope of Timeline
- December: Applications open
- Mid- February: Application close (may still consider application if we have openings left)
- February through March: Offers made
- June through August: Internship period
- Must be 18 years of age prior to scheduled start date
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to commit to the full 10-12 weeks’ time frame between June and August.
- Interns will be expected to work 40 hours a week.
- Candidates are eligible to apply to the internship within one year of their last degree attained.
- We do not have a GPA requirement.
- Applicants must have completed at least one year of accredited university or community college course work to be considered for an internship.
- We currently do not offer visa sponsorship to interns.
INTERNSHIP PROJECT SUMMARY:
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a talented intern to perform and develop screening assays for Sangamo’s ZFP-based gene regulation therapeutics for central nervous system (CNS) diseases. This is a hands-on position requiring excellent attention to detail, organization, and communication. The successful candidate will gain research experience in an industry setting while contributing to the advancement of genomic medicine across our neuroscience pipeline.
- Western blot, biochemical methods
- Immunocytochemistry, high-content imaging
- Perform RT-qPCR
- Operate automated liquid handling instruments
- Perform molecular cloning, sequencing, and nucleic acid purification
- Successfully plan, analyze, and document laboratory procedures with exceptional attention to detail
- Possibly culture and transfect human and rodent cell lines
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- 2-3 years of undergraduate college courses taken with a major in molecular biology, cell biology, neuroscience, or related discipline
- 1-year experience in a research laboratory
- Textbook understanding of molecular biology techniques, including quantitative PCR, Western blot, and molecular cloning
- Exceptional organization and interpersonal skills
- Dedicated, hard-working, and dependable
Any questions, please feel free to contact us here.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.