ABOUT US: Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing. Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Scientists in the institute’s five academic research departments work hand-in-hand with researchers of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Calibr to merge foundational studies in biology, chemistry and computer science with translational science to produce pioneering drugs and advances in digital and precision medicine. Together, we cultivate new scientific leaders and expand the frontiers of knowledge to deliver medical breakthroughs to better human health around the globe. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.
POSITION TITLE: Research Assistant I – NE
Under minimal supervision, independently and in collaboration with others perform research and conduct a wide variety of standard laboratory procedures for projects; analyze data and interpret results; investigate, troubleshoot and modify methods and procedures as necessary; may assist in designing experiments; may provide routine equipment maintenance as well as guidance/training to other department personnel; perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required or assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Selected individuals are expected to work under the direct supervision of a staff scientist. They are expected to help and promote the research activity of the staff scientist.
- Conduct laboratory tests, analyze, and categorize results
- Set up, maintain, and clean laboratory instruments and equipment, such as microscopes, scales, pipets, and test tubes
- Gather and prepare biological samples, such as blood, and bacteria cultures, for laboratory analysis
- Conduct biological tests and experiments
- Document their work, including procedures, observations, and results
- Analyze experimental data and interpret results
- Write reports that summarize their findings
- Take notes, record data, results, and organize documentation
- Transfer data and results from notes and records to computer formats
- Organize and maintain lab storage, samples, and specimens
- Provide support with general laboratory maintenance and compliance with health and safety policies
- Further details of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been attained.
- Requires 1-3 years experience. Candidates possessing a Master’s degree, 0-2 years experience required.
- Experience in cloning, biochemistry, tissue culture.
- Prior experience with HIV is welcome.
- Florida & Palm Beach County residents are preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of Scripps Research, with or without notice. Furthermore, nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Scripps Research staff.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.