We are looking for a Mixed Signal / Analog Design Engineer who enjoys full project ownership and design freedom. Engineers at SOE work on a variety of projects, with ownership throughout multiple stages of the project and product life-cycles— from initial customer concepts, design, testing, and through prototyping, production, and implementation.
This role is for an engineer who is unafraid of exposure to a wide variety of problems and tasks. The solution and execution of SOE projects often needs to be learned, invented, and executed on the spot, so the ideal candidate will have tenacious problem-solving skills and a passion for taking ownership through project execution.
- Lead design efforts for electronic systems, including architecture and implementation details
- Take ownership of schematic capture and PCB layout through board bring-up and troubleshooting with clients
- Develop sensor interfaces and analog front-ends for data acquisition systems
- Provide solutions and reviews for project part selection, evaluating components and comparing alternative solutions
- Design high-current load drivers (including motor and solenoid valve drivers) and power supplies (including switching regulators, isolated supplies, stability, noise, and characterization)
- Circuit simulation and thermal analysis of designs, including sizing of thermal management systems
- Lead interface definition, connector selection, and harness drawing reviews
- Write and execute test plans for device validation and performance characterization
- Provide design, testing, and manufacturing technical support for existing projects
- Bachelor’s Degree (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Math, related field)
- 2+ years of experience working with analog circuit designs
- Demonstrated passion for engineering and technology development
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout experience, preferably using Altium Designer
- Working knowledge of embedded systems: microcontrollers, ADC/DAC systems, and common communication interfaces (e.g., UART, SPI, I2C, etc.)
- Working knowledge of either audio, RF, electro-mechanical, or optical systems
- Ability to synthesize critical technical details into risks and actions items
- Familiarity with Git and SVN for revision control
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with analog small-signal circuit design (filters, op-amp circuits, signal conditioning) and power electronics design: regulators, load drivers, supply filters, protection circuitry
- Experience interfacing with PCB and assembly vendors to have designs fabricated
- Large-format or high-density or high-layer-count PCB design experience, preferably for aerospace and/or automotive applications
- Comfortable with Linux systems and desktop environment
- Experience with automated test systems or qualification testing for aerospace or automotive
- Familiarity with Python and/or MATLAB for data parsing and signal analysis
- Applicant must be willing to work 40 hours a week on-site in El Segundo, CA
- Applicant must be eligible to work on ITAR projects
- Job Type: Full-time (Salary)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Second Order Effects is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Second Order Effects is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status status.