TECHNICAL DIRECTOR – SIGNATURE THEATRE
Signature Theatre, one of New York’s leading off-Broadway theatres, is seeking a TECHNICAL DIRECTOR to join the production team. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1991, Signature Theatre celebrates playwrights and gives them an artistic home, producing six to eight productions annually. In 2005 Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing affordable tickets to all of its productions. In 2012, Signature opened The Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices.
Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field and aligning with Signature theatre’s institutional goals and priorities focused on playwrights, community and access are strongly encouraged to apply.
Signature is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility and welcomes candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for underrepresented communities.
Please read our commitment to creating a theatre focused on EDIA at signaturetheatre.org
Technical Director is a full-time position and reports to the Production Manager. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Signature Theatre Productions
- Work with designers to assemble detailed bid packages, present to shops and mediate bids with a keen eye towards fiscal responsibility
- Maintain clear communication within the production department to ensure successful integration of a show’s technical elements
- Attend all design presentations, meetings, rehearsals and run-throughs as designated by the production manager
- Estimate, track labor and design costs for each production and advise artistic production management of the potential consequences of proposed changes
- Provide supervision for all load-in and work calls during the production process coordinating activity with other department heads
- Responsible for the hiring and management of over hire crews as needed
- Coordinate ongoing maintenance of all scenic elements including automation and effects equipment throughout the run
Pershing Square Signature Center
- Ensure theatrical systems and theatre spaces are maintained and kept in proper working order
- Provide support to rental entities as needed; including, but not limited to scenic, rigging, SFX and automation consultation and venue prep
- Work closely with the Director of Production and Facilities to support ongoing needs of the Pershing Square Signature Center
- Ensure annual maintenance of rigging systems in theatres and studios
- Maintain CAD drawings for theatres, studios and public spaces
- Maintain all Prop Shop equipment and inventory
- Maintain clean and safe work practices throughout the Center, its theatres and support spaces
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Three or more years as a Technical Director or in a related position with equivalent experience.
- Broad knowledge of construction techniques including, but not limited to, rigging, automation, pneumatics and engineering as it relates to technical designs.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD.
- Ability to convey technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and budgeting experience.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an eye for details.
- Possess a positive attitude and is self-motivated
- Willingness to obtain the following FDNY certifications: F03, C15 and E30
- Possess a valid driver license. Ability to drive a box truck is a plus.
This is a full-time salaried position with an annual salary of $65,000-$75,000. Benefits include group health, dental, and vision plans, as well as the opportunity to participate in tax-saving flexible spending, commuter and 401(k) plans.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type TECHNICAL DIRECTOR in the subject line.
No phone calls please. For more information on Signature, please visit www.signaturetheatre.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, affectional preference, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, disability, genetic predisposition, age, military or veteran status, marital or familial status, or any other protected characteristic, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.