MECHANICAL ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
Brownsville, TX or Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
SpaceX is committed to developing revolutionary space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets. The Starship mechanical engineer will support the development of SpaceX’s Starship spacecraft and Super Heavy rocket (collectively referred to as Starship), a fully reusable transportation system designed to carry both crew and cargo to Earth orbit, the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
- Extreme ownership of primary and secondary structures on Starship or SuperHeavy
- Design flight hardware to achieve ascent, entry, and rapid reuse of next generation launch vehicle
- Develop design criteria where definition is lacking
- Perform hand calculations and FEA to develop, assess, and optimize designs
- Incorporate design for manufacturing principles and supervise first article builds
- Balance operational needs across vehicle systems while optimizing for development speed, mass and cost
- Design and execute qualification testing
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with at least one commercial FEA or multiphysics simulation package (i.e. NASTRAN, ABAQUS, ANSYS)
- 1+ years of experience with mechanical design and analysis (internship experience qualifies)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of professional experience in mechanical design and analysis
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems
- Experience in selecting materials and manufacturing methods for mechanical components
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T
- Analytical/scientific programming experience (i.e. Python, Matlab, Excel)
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.