The Summer Analyst position is an 8 week commercial real estate and structured finance internship opportunity at Starwood Property Trust (“SPT”) offices in Miami Beach, FL. Available positions include roles in the below groups.
- Surveillance – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Rotational Analysts as they work on ad hoc projects for senior management and third-party investment partners analyzing portfolio exposure and overall portfolio statistics. Rotational Analysts are assigned a portfolio of deals for which they are responsible for monitoring performance, analyzing potential credit issues, and responding to inquiries from investors and rating agencies. Rotational Analysts also hone their underwriting skills while evaluating new CMBS deals on the market.
- Investment Management – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Rotational Analysts review and monitor the performance of CMBS and whole-loan transactions where SPT has invested its capital. Rotational Analysts also provide support to the Acquisitions team, who analyze and invest in CMBS, sub-performing whole-loan pools and other CRE debt products.
- Loan Asset Management – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Rotational Analysts in providing support to Loan Asset Managers in pursuing resolutions for defaulted loans including negotiating potential loan workouts, or evaluating other asset dispositions. Rotational Analysts review loan documents, prepare underwriting analyses of the underlying collateral and participate in calls with local market experts, outside counsel and borrowers.
- Real Estate Asset Management – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Rotational Analysts in providing support to Real Estate Asset Managers including analytical support for the management, lease-up and ultimate disposition of foreclosed properties. Responsibilities include researching market conditions, reviewing leasing opportunities, making site visits, overseeing property level-management and ultimately assisting with the sale of the property.
- Real Estate Investing – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Rotational Analysts in supporting the effort to develop debt and equity investment opportunities arising for our servicing activities, monitor and maintain the opportunity pipeline, and underwrite qualified investment opportunities.
- ·Loan Origination – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Rotational Analysts in learning to identify and underwrite potential lending opportunities. In addition, Analysts are responsible for providing support to management in the analysis of originating commercial real estate mortgage loans.
- Capital Markets – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Rotational Analysts as they assist and support in the growth and development of our trading platform.
- Portfolio Management – Summer Analysts will assist full-time Senior Analysts in providing analytical support to the overall team in connection with the ongoing asset management and monitoring of the performance of SPT’s approximate $7Bn pool of structured First Mortgages, Subordinate Debt, Mezzanine Loans, B Notes, and Preferred Equity Investments. Additionally, Senior Analysts are involved in the preparation for our quarterly performance review meeting for management.
WHO CAN APPLY
The Summer Analyst role is for candidates currently pursuing a college or university degree. While your discipline or major are not important, we are looking for students with an outstanding record of academic achievement and a strong interest in commercial real estate.