This position assesses assigned inmates’ problems and capabilities; formulates a case plan; monitors inmates’ progress; provides counseling; and develops and refers inmates to appropriate institution and community resources upon transfer or release. Some of the tasks are governed by Administrative Rules, Department of Corrections and/or Institution mandates. In addition, treatment efforts are coordinated with other institution and unit staff, parole agents, the inmate’s family and/or community resources.
Applicants must possess a Social Worker credential issued by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services in the form of a Social Worker Training Certificate, Social Worker certificate, Advanced Practice Social Worker certificate, Licensed Clinical Social Worker license, or Independent Clinical Social Worker certificate.
- Experience applying social work methods and treatment techniques
- Knowledge of dynamics of human relations, including the dynamics of dealing with intellectual, academic, emotional, physical or social disabilities
- Experience facilitating group and individual counseling
- Knowledge of culturally different values
- Experience applying motivational interviewing techniques
- Experience identifying and solving problems
- Knowledge of investigation procedures
- Experience in case planning
- Knowledge of community resources and support programs
NOTE: To be considered at the Senior level, applicants must meet the above special requirement AND have 12+ months of social work experience with correctional clients or 2+ years of social work experience in another state, county, or tribal agency (other than DOC).