Private Equity Summer Analyst Role Overview:
StepStone is currently seeking candidates with excellent quantitative, qualitative and interpersonal skills for an intern position on StepStone’s Private Equity Team. StepStone offers Summer Analysts a unique opportunity to achieve a valuable learning experience working across the private equity industry. Through analysis of leveraged buyout, venture capital, growth equity, and distressed private equity funds and investments, Summer Analysts gain exposure to a wide array of industries and capital structures, and become accustomed to a variety of private equity funds and investment strategies.
Summer Analysts will work in a team environment to target and perform due diligence, including financial modeling and preparation of investment memorandums, on opportunities across the Private Equity team’s three investment verticals: private equity fund investments, co-investment transactions and secondaries transactions. Summer Analysts will have the opportunity to prepare and present recommendations, with the investment team, to the Firm’s Investment Committee.
StepStone prides itself on the Firm’s collegial atmosphere, encouraging team-building initiatives and a collaborative approach. The ideal candidate will possess a strong academic record, excellent quantitative skills, high quality writing skills, and a positive, team-oriented attitude.
Essential Internship Functions
- Analyze and conduct diligence on co-investment opportunities and secondary transactions
- Interact with fund managers/portfolio company management teams to conduct in-depth portfolio and asset-level underwriting and analysis
- Perform quantitative and qualitative research and financial modeling/analysis on companies and assets across stages (i.e., buyout, venture capital/growth equity, distressed/credit, etc.), industries and geographies
- Conduct due diligence on potential fund investments (team, strategy, performance), and synthesize findings in an investment memorandum to be presented at the Firm’s Investment Committee
- Speak with senior executives to gather insights regarding the style and effectiveness of target fund managers
- Perform market research using publicly available information and proprietary databases to identify, quantify and analyze macroeconomic trends across a variety of industry sectors
- Construct an argument around an opinion and effectively communicate that argument
- Pursuing BA/BS in Finance, Economics, Accounting or Law, or equivalent relevant experience
- Demonstrated track record of academic success
- High proficiency in Word, Power Point and Excel
- Ability to communicate and present ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Strong, demonstrable analytical capabilities, including strong quantitative/modeling skills
- Capable of multi-tasking with strong attention to detail
- Promote and demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude