StepStone is currently seeking candidates with excellent quantitative, qualitative and interpersonal skills for an intern position on StepStone’s Real Estate Team. StepStone offers Summer Interns an opportunity to achieve valuable learning experiences working across the real estate private equity industry. The Summer Analyst will work in a team environment to target and perform due diligence on opportunities across the Real Estate team’s three investment verticals: real estate private equity fund investments, co-investment transactions and secondaries transactions. Through analysis of opportunistic, value-add, core and credit funds, Summer Analysts gain exposure to a wide array of property types, markets and capital structures and become accustomed to a variety of real estate private equity funds and investment strategies. Participation in StepStone Real Estate’s asset management activities provides Summer Analysts with experience evaluating transactions and investment opportunities. The Summer Analyst will have the opportunity to prepare and present recommendations, with the investment team, to the Real Estate Investment Committee and to the Real Estate team’s client base of institutional investors.
StepStone prides itself on the Firm’s collegial atmosphere, encouraging team-building initiatives and a collaborative approach to accomplishing projects. The ideal candidate will possess strong academic achievement, high quality writing skills and a solid financial background.
Essential Internship Functions
- Assist both the investments and advisory teams in key job functions, primarily:
- The evaluation of potential investments and the asset management of the existing real estate portfolio
- The underwriting and assessment of prospective fund manager marketing and supporting materials to identify key value drivers and important areas for further investigation
- Perform market research using publicly available information and proprietary databases to identify, quantify and analyze macroeconomic trends across a variety of property types
- Interpret financial analyses prepared by operating fund managers, including investment track records, financial statement analysis and fund models
- Prepare for and participate in meetings with potential partners, fund managers and assist in all aspects of active investment and advisory on-going due diligence
- Efficiently communicate a position verbally and in written materials, including defending a position in a team environment such as Investment Committee meetings
- Support full-time staff on coverage responsibilities including: asset and portfolio management deliverables and sourcing and managing the inflow of investment opportunities.
- Pursuing BA/BS/MS in Real Estate, Private Equity, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Law or equivalent relevant experience
- High proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Demonstrated track record of academic success
- Ability to represent the firm credibly in written and interpersonal communications
- Strong communication skills
- Strong, demonstrable analytical capabilities, including strong quantitative skills
- Team player and committed to work