Stromberg Garrigan & Associates, Inc., (SGA) (www.s-ga.com) is a multi-discipline landscape architecture and urban design firm with an affiliated practice in architecture. Our firm is a national leader in urban and community revitalization specializing in brownfields redevelopment planning and resiliency design, with an emphasis on physical project implementation. SGA projects are geographically diverse ranging from major urban centers including the cities of New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Norfolk to smaller cities and towns located throughout the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest and Rocky Mountain regions. Market sectors include mixed-use and urban infill development, resiliency planning and waterfront revitalization, adaptive reuse of historical and industrial structures, urban plazas, parks, and public spaces.
We are seeking candidates with entry level to four years of community planning experience, preferably in urban environments, brownfields, and large-scale redevelopment projects. It is desirable, but not necessary, for candidates to have supplemental experience and/or education in the fields of, communications, environmental sciences, horticulture, sustainability, landscape architecture, architecture or urban design.
· Norfolk, VA
· Work with project managers/principals in multiple offices to support and contribute to project design work from master planning and analysis efforts;
· Collaborating on proposals and business development activities;
· Serving as a technical resource to support projects and manage tasks and projects;
· Assisting in the development of presentational development, technical documentation, and reports;
· Giving client and public presentations;
· Facilitating public workshops and meetings;
· Serving clients, project teams, and staff in support of project implementation; ensure timely, cost effective, high-quality service, and product delivery;
· Collaborating on proposals and business development activities; and
· Support multi-media project and promotional communications
· Bachelor degree (minimum) with a Masters level degree (preferred) in City and Regional Planning or Urban Design. It is desirable, but not necessary, for candidates to also hold a degree(s) in communications, environmental sciences, horticulture, sustainability, landscape architecture, architecture or urban design.
· Interest or experience with neighborhood planning and civic design.
· Interest or experience working with non-profit clients, community groups, government clients, and private clients.
· Interest or experience in facilitating client, key stakeholder, and public meetings.
· Interest or experience in strategic communication and digital/social media campaigns.
· Periodic and multi-day travel to site locations and to facilitate public engagement programs.
· English fluency (writing, speaking).
· Exemplary writing, presentation, and verbal communication/public speaking skills.
· Proficiency in ESRI ArcGIS, Google Earth Pro, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and MS Office. (It is desirable that applicants have a high proficiency in all or most software packages listed in order to properly manage and mentor staff.).
· Proficiency in AutoCAD, AutoCAD 3D map, Rhino Sketch Up Pro (for urban designers)
· Experience preparing and assembling presentations and report/plan document preparation and assembly.
· Portfolio samples of work should illustrate the candidate’s strength of understanding in graphic and written presentation as well as software and hand drawing/sketching/drafting proficiencies.
· Sitting for extended length of time
· Periodic and multi-day travel to site locations and to facilitate public engagement/meetings
· Fieldwork/ability to travel
· Valid driver’s license
· Typing and handwriting
· Hand drawing
· Occasional lifting of boxes up to 50lbs
Candidates should submit cover letter, resume, portfolio and samples of graphic and written work to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the position (Planner/UD-I) and the office location you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Phone inquiries are not accepted.