Symetra has an exciting opportunity to join our team as part of our 2022 Actuarial Internship Program!
About the role
Symetra offers several internship opportunities with our Actuarial areas. This is a full-time, paid internship taking place in spring/summer 2022. The internship is 100% remote to align with Symetra’s response to COVID-19. The duration of the internship is 3 to 6 months, during which you’ll have the opportunity to learn from experienced actuaries who focus on various functions including pricing, reserving, and reporting. You’ll get hands-on experience, and work-ready skills through collaboration with various actuarial software applications. Contributing to diverse projects, you will gain valuable experience in the exciting and high-growth field of actuarial science!
At Symetra we seek to engage and empower every individual. We value collaboration, diversity of thought and experience, sharing ideas, winning as a team, and always striving for excellence.
Working on the Actuarial Team
Here’s what some of our team members have to say about their work and being a part of the Symetra team.
- “As a part of this team, I have the opportunity to have a direct impact on the company whether through product design and pricing, the analysis of investment strategies, or the verification of compliance with the myriad regulations that govern our products.” — Jean
- “We as a team turn the modeling and data into strategy and decision making that helps Symetra grow in a healthy way. I enjoy working with the people around me. We are like good friends and family who try to help and learn from each other every day.” — Raymond
- “There’s never a stale moment on this team. Our culture of growth leads us to new product designs, model enhancements, and the latest technologies. The Actuarial profession is evolving and we’re evolving with it. There isn’t a better team to grow professionally with.” – Curtis
Your education, experience and skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a strong quantitative background including college level mathematics
- Intermediate to advanced level proficiency with Excel and other Microsoft Office applications
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills
- Strong technical skills and SQL, R, and/or Python modeling experience preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
What we offer you
We don’t take a “one-size-fits-all” approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are designed to make your life better—both at work and at home
- Fully remote internship. We ship you the equipment you need to enjoy work from the comfort of home
- Wellness program offering employees a variety of resources crafted to assist you in reaching and maintaining your optimum health
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan
- Paid time away accrual
Employer work visa sponsorship and support are not provided for this role. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at hire and must maintain authorization to work in the United States throughout their employment with our company.
We empower inclusion
At Symetra, we embrace and celebrate diverse experiences, identities and perspectives, because lifting each other up fuels thought and creates a stronger, more innovative company. Learn more here.