Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
- Lathrop, CA
About the Team
The Materials Engineering team is responsible for multiple facets of materials at Tesla. This includes qualifying, testing, developing, implementation and consultation involving metals, ceramics, glass, various polymers, adhesives, etc.
- Materials Analysis – Software Tools
- Materials Test
- Structural Adhesives and Paint
- Injection Molding Simulation
- Paints and Coatings
- Fluids and Lubricants
Metals, Glass, and Ceramics
- Plating and Connectors
- Conductors and Joining
- Tool and Die Materials and Coatings
- Robotics and Automation
- Tool Design
- Equipment Design
- Facility Design
- Pursing a degree in Materials Engineering/Science and/or have a focus in Materials Engineering/Science OR a relevant program (i.e. Mechanical Engineering).
- Fundamental knowledge of materials science and physical metallurgy.
- Preferred former internship experience at another vehicle and/or aerospace manufacturer.
- Experience with 3D CAD tools is expected.
- Enjoy hands on engineering, turning wrenches, and putting things together.