We’re interested in hiring a policy analyst to do research and draft position pieces on domestic policy issues. This person will work alongside our team as a member of the Cicero Institute.
The hire will have the opportunity to work closely with Joe Lonsdale and investors at 8VC, which is a top Silicon Valley venture capital fund. The hire will be surrounded by the country’s leading entrepreneurs and investors, who have a unique perspective on how industries work, how value is created, and where special interests dominate the public good.
It is an exciting but extremely disciplined environment. Our group approaches policy problems with entrepreneurial energy and has access to a top network of leaders in the public and private sectors. We have a distinctive ability to accomplish policy reforms in a way that most policy organizations do not.
This job is a unique opportunity for a smart and hardworking person who passionately shares our values and wants to improve government and rewrite policy so that American entrepreneurs can improve broken industries and bring prosperity to all.
The candidate should be creative, intellectually versatile, and possess extremely strong writing skills. They should exhibit good judgment, loyalty, and discretion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct research projects on policy topics and report findings
• Field calls and meetings with policymakers, political non-profits, think tank representatives, and other groups
• Draft content for various websites and work with our design team to help spin them up
• Collaborate on whitepapers and essays
• Experience working on policy reform, or, if a recent graduate, a great GPA and demonstrated interest in domestic policy
• Able to grasp the holistic view of our organization and independently assesses how they can most effectively advance our policy goals.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, comfortable asking for guidance immediately
• Willing to reply very quickly to emails and work flexible/irregular hours including weekends
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Able to swiftly conduct research and synthesize findings
• Maximally broad range of intellectual interests; innately curious about most subjects
• A focused listener, able to rapidly take notes and retain information
• Strong organizational and project management skills for timely implementation of projects
• Interpersonal skills, conversational ability, and charisma
About Joe Lonsdale: Joe Lonsdale is a partner at 8VC, a San Francisco-based venture capital
fund. He was an early institutional investor in many notable companies including Wish, Oculus, Illumio, RelateIQ, ZenReach, Color Genomics, and Synthego and in 2016 and 2017 was the youngest member of the Forbes 100 Midas List.
Joe is a co-founder of Palantir, a multi-billion dollar global software company best known for its
work in defense and finance. He was a founding partner at Formation 8, the precursor fund to
8VC, and manages over 4 billion USD. 8VC is one of the top performing private funds. Before
that, he founded Addepar, a leading wealth management technology platform, and OpenGov. He
is also a founder of Affinity and Anduin. Previously, Joe was an early executive at Clarium
Capital, which he helped grow into a large global macro hedge fund. He also worked at PayPal
while he was at Stanford.
Joe and his wife Tayler are active in a variety of philanthropic and mission-driven pursuits
involving public policy and liberty, classical arts, and healthcare innovation. In addition to
supporting various nonprofit organizations, Joe and Tayler are focused on harnessing the power
of markets to create more opportunity for all parts of society.
Joe received a B.S. in Computer Science from Stanford in 2003. He often lectures and writes on
entrepreneurship, technology, and public policy.