The Interaction Designer is responsible for design of The Corning Museum of Glass (Museum) digital platforms, including cmog.org, digital signage, on-site and online interactive media, and mobile web applications. Collaborates with exhibition and curatorial teams on in-gallery interactives; advancement and marketing teams on fundraising and membership initiatives; and the digital media team on improvements and changes to our active (7 million+ page views/year) websites.
- Works with the Manager, Digital Experience Design to design attractive, accessible, responsive, and user-friendly interfaces for the web and for Museum digital products.
- Creates prototypes suitable for remote and/or in-person user testing, including branching or variable content and user flows.
- Creates detailed mockups and related documentation suitable for handoff to internal or external developers.
- Iterates existing designs to improve usability or accommodate new features or requirements.
- Assists in the development, documentation, and diagramming of use cases and user flows.
- Collaborates with other museum departments in requirements gathering, design, testing, and review as needed.
- Works with Digital Content Specialist and Editor to ensure web content and layout are effective.
- Assists in user experience research, planning, and usability testing, as needed.
- Assists with analytics, as needed.
- Employs analytics, user experience research, and metrics, along with Museum brand standards and usability best practices in design thinking.
- Creates or updates designs for digital signage compatible with signage automation and management system, including motion graphics, as needed.
- Champions inclusive, human-centered design and brand guidelines. Designs within exhibition design parameters when appropriate.
- Creates data visualizations, as needed.
- Supports and amplifies the Museum’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
- Attends and presents at professional conferences as required; maintains currency with new technologies and practices.
- Collaborates with digital media team in production and planning.
- Actively participates in digital media team meetings and serves on Museum project teams, as needed.
- Respect and exemplify the values of The Corning Museum of Glass in all interactions with colleagues, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Ability to represent the Museum in a professional manner.
- Adhere to all prescribed organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; strong collaboration skills.
- Ability to gather, organize and interpret data; particularly data about user preferences and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong work portfolio that demonstrates systematic and creative design thinking and understanding of UI/UX/IxD best practices.
- Demonstrated proficiency with iterative design, wireframes, user workflow for complex interfaces, mockups, prototyping, diagramming, and handoff.
- Knowledge of interactive charting applications and/or data visualization design.
- Proficiency with IxD software such as Axure, Sketch, Figma, UXPin, Balsamiq, Lucid Chart, and/or Adobe Creative Suite.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and (S)CSS desired.
- Basic knowledge of accessibility and usability standards and best practices.
- Knowledge of and ability to run usability tests.
- Experience with graphic design, motion graphics, animation and digital art desired.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills; understanding of why problems occur and identifying beneficial solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills; works effectively and professionally with people at all levels, including marketing/communications staff, curators, and researchers.
- Strong project management skills; handles multiple tasks under the pressure of deadlines.
- Highly accurate, detail-oriented, and organized; focuses on follow-up.
- Some weekends and evenings may be required; flexibility in hours necessary.
- Occasional travel, as needed.
Minimum salary $55,000
Email or mail resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or send to Corning Museum of Glass, One Museum Way, Corning, NY 14830, Attn: Human Resources. An Equal Opportunity Employer.