D. E. Shaw Renewable Investments (“DESRI”) is seeking a talented and highly motivated individual with a desire to learn and contribute to join its summer internship program. DESRI is a market-leading owner and operator of renewable energy assets across the U.S. that acquires, develops, owns, and manages a portfolio of over 40 renewable energy assets totaling approximately 2,500 MWdc of generation capacity. The internship offers the opportunity to participate in the management of renewable energy assets in an inclusive, collaborative, and engaging working environment.
WHAT YOU’LL DO DAY-TO-DAY:
Over the course of the summer, you will work closely with DESRI’s regulatory compliance and legal team to help ensure generator owner and operator compliance with North American Energy Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliability Standards. These standards govern the operation of the entire North American Bulk Electric System, more commonly referred to as “the grid.” Your goals for the summer will be to develop an understanding of these standards and to help DESRI collect and organize evidence that we will later use to demonstrate compliance during federal audits. This will demand coordination with DESRI asset managers, engineering/cybersecurity consultants, and third-party operations and maintenance teams. You will also have the opportunity to assist with various other legal and compliance matters related to DESRI’s development and operating projects.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
• The ideal candidate is an undergraduate student who is either studying power engineering or considering a future legal career in the renewable energy space.
• Familiarity with the fundamental principles of electricity & magnetism/electrical engineering and the basic lexicon of these subjects (voltage, current, AC/DC, transformers, inverters, etc.) would be helpful, but is not required for this position.
• Organization is key—this role demands strong organizational skills, and candidates should be highly conscientious and consistent in their organizational habits.
• Intellectually curious individuals with exceptional written and verbal communication skills will excel in this role.
• Experience parsing legal/contractual language is a plus.
Interested candidates can apply through our website: https://www.deshaw.com/recruit/jobs/Oncampus/Handshake/DESRICI
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any applicant, employee, or former employee on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or other category protected by law. All employment-related decisions are based solely on legitimate non-discriminatory business reasons.