The Support Counselor role supports day to day activities of individuals in the Midland Adult Services (MAS) Residential Division. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the direct care of supported individuals and documentation of the same utilizing an Electronic Health Record (EHR).
Teaching and Behavioral Support
· Ensure that the residence conveys the feeling that this is the individual’s home, their rights are upheld, they are given responsibilities within the home and they are active in making decisions about their home;
· Participate in Service Plan development and provide a program that develops independent livings skills and meet the goals and outcomes of individual’s Service Plan;
· Act as liaison, advocate and coordinator for involvement in support groups;
· Train, monitor and assist individuals in daily living skills and Service Plan outcomes;
· Assist in building a support network between individuals and community members;
· Advocate for the individuals in MAS residences;
· Utilize Crisis Intervention Techniques, when appropriate.
· Complete required documentation, including UIR documentation, Medication Administration Records (MAR), Electronic Health Record (EHR) system;
· Monitor and assist with health and medical care for individuals, as needed;
· Accompany individuals to/from appointments and activities;
· Carry out activities on the Recreation and Leisure Calendar;
· Work with families/guardians to ensure quality services are being delivered.
· Knowledge of MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook;
· Ability to utilize computer software programs, including the Electronic Health Record (EHR) system;
· Assist in the lifting and transferring of individuals;
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Must be at least 18 years of age or older;
· High School diploma or equivalent;
· Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record (driver’s abstract is conditional on hire);
· Ability to establish comfortable and supportive relationships;
· Prior experience working with intellectually and/or developmentally disabled individuals (more than 1 year is highly preferred);
· Self-motivated team players with a positive, energetic and professional demeanor is highly preferred;
· Must be able to complete all required residential training/certification and successfully maintain training/certification(s) throughout tenure with Midland;
· Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Ability to sit/stand for extended periods;
· Ability to lift/move up to 50 pounds.
Midland offers a fulfilling career opportunity along with supportive coworkers and management team.
The Midland School is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.