Summary: The Public Theater seeks a Director of Marketing to join the Marcomms leadership team to oversee the marketing of The Public’s robust slate of annual productions and institutional programs with an emphasis on earned revenue, strategy, advertising, promotion, brand affinity, and audience development.
The Director of Marketing reports to, and will work closely with, the Chief Marketing Officer and is a member of the Marcomms leadership team along with the Director of Communications, the Art Director, the Director of New Media, and Senior Managers of Marketing and Audience Services. The department is supported by a marketing manager, associate marketing manager, and two marcomms associates.
- Direct and lead a team of four marketing members and provide oversight, mentorship, and ensure a collaborative working relationship.
- Provide focus and prioritization for the team, in a landscape of timely, multiple, and concurrent commitments.
- Ensure marketing strategies and recommendations are aligned and maintained within the institutional brand and long-term institutional goals and objectives.
- Direct the planning and successful execution of institutional announcements, production on sales, and major tentpole/event moments for the organization.
- Develop and manage departmental and production marketing budgets, working closely with the team to ensure successful tracking of expenses and reconciliation.
- Establish and manage key performance indicators, reporting systems, and conduct audience research efforts.
- Manage and maintain key external relationships with media vendors, sponsors, corporate partners, and community partners and leaders.
- Production and Program Marketing
- Lead annual marketing strategies that work to maximize earned income by developing, executing, and managing marketing campaigns, including key artwork development and media buying/planning, for all shows and programs, including the Astor Season of plays and musicals, Free Shakespeare in the Park, Under the Radar Festival, The Mobile Unit, and other key Public Theater programs.
- Oversee the development of all related collateral, digital, advertising, and promotional copy, and materials.
- Attend events and performances to support special projects or publicity events that may occur outside of regular business hours (photo shoots or opening nights), as needed.
- Institutional Cross-Departmental Collaboration
- Partner with the Director of Corporate Partnerships to ensure sponsorship requirements are fulfilled and deliverables achieved.
- Partner with Public Theater Productions team and provide marketing strategy and support for production transfers to Broadway.
- Partner with Audience Services to provide audience experiences that support The Public’s commitment to an inclusive, welcoming, and engaging environment in physical buildings and online.
- Partner with Producing and General Management show liaisons on communicating marketing strategies and audience goals with artists.
- Ensure successful collaboration between Marketing and Development departments, including intersection with the Public Supporter (Members) and Partners (Donors) teams to develop sales communications to all segments of the donor base and CRM system.
- Audience Development
- Partner with internal producing teams, artistic programming managers, external audience development, and community consultants to create and execute audience development goals and strategies, including media planning and cultivation events.
- Oversee and execute grassroots tactics and new media to drive ticket access initiatives and enhance audience development efforts.
- Research new media opportunities, consultants, and community partnerships to further goals and objectives that advance The Public’s mission and Cultural Transformation activity.
- 5+ years in arts, culture, or entertainment marketing or sales, including an ability to deliver an annual earned revenue goal.
- Strong management skills with an ability to guide, mentor, and advocate for the team, providing training and performance management as needed.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively communicate The Public’s mission, and key programs in a simple and compelling manner.
- Strong organizational skills, with sharp attention to detail and proofreading.
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple, concurrent projects under pressure, and with unpredictable schedules, in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience building and maintaining respectful internal and external relationships.
- Comprehensive knowledge of marketing strategies, trends, and processes, and multi-channel delivery systems.
- A creative, strategic thinker, and motivated self-starter that can work independently.
- Comprehensive understanding of Public Theater’s mission, and programming.
- Comprehensive understanding of the elements of brand management.
- Proficient with technology systems– data analytics, digital delivery, and experience with Tessitura, basic HTML, and photoshop preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of financial planning/budgeting, tracking, and reconciliation.
- Understanding of anti-racism principles and practices coupled with dedication to furthering how marketing can contribute to this work.
The Public Theater supports flexible and hybrid work arrangements. Options can be discussed during the interview process. This is an exempt full-time position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act with an annual salary of $105,000, and is available immediately. To apply, please include a cover letter along with your resume.
COVID-19 and Vaccination Policy
As a condition of employment, The Public will require all who report to work on-site (either at The Public Theater or any other workspace or performing location) to be up-to-date on the COVID-19 vaccine and booster, as eligible based on CDC guidelines.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
About The Public
Conceived over 60 years ago as one of the nation’s first nonprofit theaters, The Public has long operated on the principles that theater is an essential cultural force and that art and culture belong to everyone. The Public’s breadth of programming includes an annual season of work at its flagship home at Astor Place, Free Shakespeare in the Park at The Delacorte Theater in Central Park, the Mobile Unit touring throughout New York City’s five boroughs, Under the Radar Festival, Public Lab, Public Works, Public Shakespeare Initiative, and Joe’s Pub. Since premiering HAIR in 1967, The Public continues to contribute to the canon of American Theater.